Substance Painter?

Want to just chat with like minded users about other things, besides MD? Here's the place to do it.
wetcircuit

Substance Painter?

Post by wetcircuit » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:48 pm

Are there any resources/tutorials for MD to Substance Painter workflow?

I've had the Substance suite for a while but Painter has seemed cryptic for me….

LoriGriffiths

Re: Substance Painter?

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:01 pm

I just had my first intro to Substance Painter by entering their MD / SP David & Diana contest. It is powerful software.

Where are you taking your model after creating the textures? Are you going from MD to Substance to Unity? Or maybe out to Blender for renders or animation?

I can probably work up a simple tutorial, I did a ton of research for the contest.

wetcircuit

Post by wetcircuit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:38 am

I am going from MD to Unity… but often MD to Adobe Fuse (for rigging) then to Unity. I use MD's fabric colors as a colormask to apply Substances in Adobe Fuse (it's a mostly automated process: green replaced by denim, red replaced by knit, etc).

I have not successfully opened an item I created in SP :? I know that sounds ridiculous… I have watched a few hours of tutorial videos, and they always seem to gloss over the basics to get to the bigger concepts.I come back to SP after seeing an amazing tutorial and I can't even get my model imported.

I'd appreciate any info you can spare. I know tutorials are so time consuming. I understand the bigger concepts, it's the basics that I keep expecting to pick up via osmosis or something, but it doesn't seem to happen….

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:32 pm

The tutorials that you can find do not apply to MD at all. I found that out myself. One of the steps they always how is baking maps after bringing in your model. That is utterly worthless with MD patterns because they have no shape, per se. That are just flat planes.

I saved the model and garments as FBX in MD and opened them in SP. Another thing that tutorials show you is bringing in a low res version and then linking to the high res to save resources. Again, this is very weird with MD. I brought in my high res and just worked with that.

In MD, apply a different fabric to each pattern that needs to be textured differently. It sounds like you are using color for Fuse, but you'll need to use different fabrics for SP. SP will import the patterns and group patterns based on fabric assignment.