MD and the Poser Cloth Room

Is Poser your favorite? Having issues using MD with Poser? Ask for help or help others here.
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

MD and the Poser Cloth Room

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:57 pm

(My word! I am surprised that there haven't been any posts in this area. I'll get the ball started.)

----------------------------------
One of the good things about Poser is it's Cloth Room dynamics. While it still isn't the match for MD's simulation engine, it *can* handle dynamic simulations, with some care and caveats.
It can take almost any OBJ file and make a 'cloth' from it. Which means that if you export your MD garments as OBJ, you can take them into Poser for final posing and tweaking, (I use this to create the final head and hand positions) and do rendering there. (While I don't want to start a program flame war, the 'other' posing program, DAZ Studio, requires either an Optitex created garment for it's dynamic work, or an unsupported work-around that DAZ does not recommend.)

-----------------------------------
There are a few things you need to remember when preparing an MD garment for Poser.

1. Weld all seams on export. This is important, as Poser will let a garment 'fall to pieces' during the dynamic work.
2. Before your final export, make sure the garment is 'loose' enough to not cause intersections with the Poser avatar. Poser does NOT handle such intersections with the ease of MD. It either freezes, or goes into spasms of "crazy pixel" movements. Use the MD figure offset (select the avatar, then in the Property Editor find the offset) to give your self enough room for the avatar inside the garment. Using Lori's system of creating proper fitting slopers/blocks will also help keep a good fitting garment without too much strain and stress on the fabric, which can lead to this problem.
3. Use the Poser export setting provided in the OBJ export options box. I use the first of the two options. Other people use the second. I *think* it depends on which version of Poser you are using... try both to see which is better for you.
4. On import into Poser (as 'Wavefront OBJ"), the following is vital: UNCHECK the following (checked by default) boxes:
"Centered"
"Percent of standard figure size"
By UNCHECKING these boxes, you are telling Poser to accept the size and position information that MD has created in it's OBJ export settings.

At this point the garment should come into Poser in the correct position and size for your Poser avatar. If you have done pre-posing work, have your posed avatar ready.

I will continue this thread with other helpful information, specific to Poser, and it's material and cloth room settings.

AlexisBell

Re: MD and the Poser Cloth Room

Post by AlexisBell » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:55 am

2. Before your final export, make sure the garment is 'loose' enough to not cause intersections with the Poser avatar. Poser does NOT handle such intersections with the ease of MD. It either freezes, or goes into spasms of "crazy pixel" movements. Use the MD figure offset (select the avatar, then in the Property Editor find the offset) to give your self enough room for the avatar inside the garment. Using Lori's system of creating proper fitting slopers/blocks will also help keep a good fitting garment without too much strain and stress on the fabric, which can lead to this problem.
Thanks for this. I'm using Poser myself, and even though I was creating a loose garment in MD, it felt too formfitting. This is such a useful tidbit on how to keep the fabric from hugging the figure too tightly.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Glad you found it useful!

(I really need to add some more Poser oriented information here soon.... been pretty busy to write much this past few months.)

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:19 pm

[Copying over some information from another thread, as it pertains here as well.]

This is a brief overview of the work-flow coming into the Poser environment.

After you have created the garment inside MD (for a given Poser figure), export it as an .obj figure and save it to a good location, where you can easily find it from Poser.

1) Load the figure the clothing is meant for. You can set up the animation for that figure at this time: slide the timeline ahead, make the pose different, etc. Then make sure you re-set the timeline back to the start point.
2) Import the clothing object. (Use 100% "of original size", and not "Of standard figure". Also *uncheck* centered) This should place the clothing in the correct position on your figure, provided the MD export was done correctly.)
3) Next, with the clothing object still selected, use the menu option Figure>Set Figure Parent and from the list choose the best option. For a dress or shirt, I usually use "Chest"; and for pants, I use "Hip". This should make the clothing follow any main movements of the chest, as the figure moves. At this point, the clothing is still a static (non-animated) object.
4) *Then* I set up the animation parameters. I usually check all the collision options (vertex against vertex, self-collision, etc.) Clothify the clothing object prop. Select any areas that you don't want to move and assign them to a 'Constrained group"; this holds the position of those selected vertices in relation to the figure as they are at the beginning of the animation.
5) At this point, when you run the Poser sim calculation, the garment should follow the figure, and any non-constrained cloth mesh will drape itself as it moves.

Here is an example of using just these steps:

Some cautions:
Poser's Cloth room is NOT as robust as MD. If you are using a high-poly mesh (for detail work) Poser may very well choke.
Also, it doesn't handle layers as well: I often find things like collars penetrating the torso of the garment (you can *just* make that issue out in the picture above, in the shot of the back view). If you have two overlapping garments, there are some ways to work that out, but in general, you have to run the Poser sim individually for each garment layer. Each additional layer will have to "Collide against" the preceding layers as well as the human figure.
Also, things like MD's sharp pleats will end up being relaxed: Poser can't 'read' that information and will smooth them out.

But, overall: I have made a number of MD clothing items just for Poser dynamics, and they generally work fine.