Garments for animating in Poser

Is Poser your favorite? Having issues using MD with Poser? Ask for help or help others here.
animei

Garments for animating in Poser

Post by animei » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:29 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this MD * Poser affair...

After seeing a lot of tutorials that cover the creation of garments for still images (using posed figures exported from poser), I was wondering if there's a way to bring garments to Poser as conforming clothes to use in animation inside Poser... as for now, my garments won't follow my figure's poses and general moves... :cry:

I'm not yet too familiar with all the processes on both applications so if anyone could be really descriptive (as in step-by-step) I'd much appreciate it!

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Garments for animating in Poser

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:05 pm

I would suggest (depending on which version of Poser you have) doing it within Poser, or with other available secondary programs/text editors. MD won't be able to set up the conforming structures that Poser uses.
There are a number of tutorials for earlier versions of Poser, but I do know that the last few versions of Poser have what is called the Fitting Room that supposedly allows for making a mesh conforming to a given figure.

animei

Post by animei » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:21 pm

I'm on Poser 11 Pro working with The Kids 4, trying to make a Hindu little girl...
I realized that maybe the best option will really be the dynamic clothe as I'm modelling a Sarree, indian female outfit, which has some flowy parts, scarf-y like... (am I right about this conclusion?)
But I just can't seem to make the outfit follow the figure's motion...

Here's my workflow:

I created the garment in MD and exported it as obj.
Imported .obj to Poser and opened Cloth Room...
in Cloth Room:

1. I started a new simulation
2.Selected Prop to Clothify and asked it to collide against the Kids 4 figure
3. In Cloth groups, I edited a Dynamic Group (in the drop-down menu, the option _constrained_ as i imagined served as a 'pin' for the cloth not to fall when simulating; so I assigned the vertices in the shoulder of the garment)
4. Calculate simulation

But still the garment won't follow

It is my first time using MD and I'm still on the trial version... I thought I should give it a go before commiting to such an expensive application... now I'm wondering if the problem is caused by the fact that the app is a trial version... but I read somwhere that the trial version doesn't have any limitations...
I'm lost... :cry: :cry:

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Hmmm.
Okay, here are the steps that I take:
1) Load the figure the clothing is meant for. You can set up the animation for that figure at this time: slide the timeline ahead, make the pose different, etc. Then make sure you re-set the timeline back to the start point.
2) Import the clothing object. (Use 100% "of original size", and not "Of standard figure". Also *uncheck* centered) This should place the clothing in the correct position on your figure, provided the MD export was done correctly.)
3) Next, with the clothing object still selected, use the menu option Figure>Set Figure Parent and from the list choose the best option. For a dress I usually use "Chest"; for pants, I use "Hip". This should make the clothing follow any main movements of the chest, as the figure moves. At this point, the clothing is still a static (non-animated) object.
4) *Then* I set up the animation parameters. I usually check all the collision options (vertex against vertex, self-collision, etc.) Clothify the clothing object prop. Select any areas that you don't want to move and assign them to a 'Constrained group": in your case, the shoulder area of the garment needs to stay put.
5) At this point, when you run the Poser sim calculation, the garment should follow the figure, and drape itself as it moves.

Here is an example of using just these steps:

Some cautions:
Poser's Cloth room is NOT as robust as MD. If you are using a high-poly mesh (for detail work) Poser may very well choke.
Also, it doesn't handle layers as well: I often find things like collars penetrating the torso of the garment (you can *just* make that issue out in the picture above, in the shot of the back view). If you have two overlapping garments, there are some ways to work that out, but in general, you have to run the Poser sim individually for each garment layer. Each additional layer will have to "Collide against" the preceding layers as well as the human figure.
Also, things like MD's sharp pleats will end up being relaxed: Poser can't 'read' that information and will smooth them out.

But, overall: I have made a number of MD clothing items just for Poser dynamics, and they generally work fine.

animei

Post by animei » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi Rosemaryr,

I was stumbling on the "animate first" and THEN simulate.

I thought the garment would be clothified and could then be posed and animated as I wished... hmm..
I reversed the order and it works like a charm!

Nothing wrong but my Chip 'n Dale Neurons... hahaha :lol:

Thanks for your support!

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:24 am

*chuckle* Glad to hear it solved your issues. Sometimes it is the minor things that trip us up!
Do post a pic of the results... we would like to see what you come up with!