Transfering two Separate Patterns from Two Separate Projects

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Transfering two Separate Patterns from Two Separate Projects

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:40 pm

This is something I have been wondering about for some time but keep forgetting to ask. Is it possible to transfer pattern pieces between two separate projects? If so, how would you do this?

I know you can copy a previously created project and use it to create something different by adding/altering pattern pieces but, if I am working on a project, say a skirt and have it draped where I like it, Is there a way to bring in separate top pattern pieces from a separate project? I know I can freeze or deactivate the skirt, which is a viable workaround, if necessary, (Yes, I am working on a Regency Dress Rosemayr inspired by her Riding Habit) and create my top for it but this is simply a curiosity question others may be pondering as well.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Transfering two Separate Patterns from Two Separate Projects

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Use the command File>Add>Garment (Ctrl-Shft-O shortcut) to bring in another garment.
Tip: move the pattern pieces of one garment (or the other) to an unused area of the 2D window. Sometimes sorting out the pattern pieces can be tricky when they overlap.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:59 pm

Do I need to save project 2 Top as a garment file first? Is this like you are importing the garment file into the Skirt Project 1?

I am a little confused. I have never tried saving project1 (example) then opening a new project2 (example) at the same time, although I think it would be nice if you could have multiple projects open with the ability to transfer between the windows. Not sure that is possible even and might be rather laggy to do so with MD at times.

Will do a bit of experimenting.

Thanks, Rosemayr!

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:30 pm

Have both garments saved in their own separate files. Then, with one open, use the Add garment to bring the other one into the same scene.
Then save a new combined garment file with both the items in it.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:35 pm

You now have the ability to open multiple instances of Marvelous Designer. Open MD with one project and another instance of MD with a different project. You can copy and paste between MD instances from one project to the other.