Shabby Chic Baby Bed/Crib Work In Progress

Show us your stuff! Beginner's and more advanced MD users are welcome to show their creations. Whether it is your first or your 100th, we'd love to see it.
MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Shabby Chic Baby Bed/Crib Work In Progress

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:40 pm

I wanted to share something I am currently working on via multiple programs. This baby bed/Crib was something I created for an in-game Second Life asset using Mesh Studio (in-game product for creating mesh and to avoid dealing with Blender's less than optimal texturing function), Blender for tweaks to the mesh object (reduce poly count) and Marvelous Designer for making the actual crib blanket (texturing the object as well). Please note, the drawer pulls (too lazy to create my own) and crib mattress (asset for Zooby babies) were created by other designers/creators for varying in-game purposes.

Since I am not sure how to send a textured object into MD that shows it's texture (not sure it is even possible), I took some screen shots of what the baby bed/crib looks like in-game and in MD.
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 8.25.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 8.25.56 AM.png (692.5 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 8.23.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 8.23.38 AM.png (222.94 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
I had to be pretty creating in MD to reduce the poly count via upping the particle distance in MD and going for a disheveled look rather than a lot of deep folds. This particular blanket was quadrangulated to also keep the poly count low. I have to say I was rather worried about upping the particle distance and quadrangulting the blanket. I have made things in the past with MD that leaves holes triangle shaped holes in the mesh when you quadrangulate. I was pleased this didn't happen to this particular piece and uploaded with a low poly count.
Snapshot_001.png
Snapshot_001.png (801.7 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
Now for some in-game texturing tweaks, I should soon have a viable product I am really happy with. Happy Summer!

LoriGriffiths

Re: Shabby Chic Baby Bed/Crib Work In Progress

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:15 am

That looks great Morgaine. It's interesting that something that doesn't seem that complex uses so many techniques and programs to accomplish. Creating assets for Second Life seems like a lot of work. It looks like you have it figured out well.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Re: Shabby Chic Baby Bed/Crib Work In Progress

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:30 am

LoriGriffiths wrote:That looks great Morgaine. It's interesting that something that doesn't seem that complex uses so many techniques and programs to accomplish. Creating assets for Second Life seems like a lot of work. It looks like you have it figured out well.
Actually, I could of used Blender entirely to create this piece; however, the texturing function of Blender is pitiful in my opinion making it very difficult to texture all of the different faces to look nice. Yes, you can make it look great if you post-op in Photoshop or Gimp texturing the UV maps but why bother when it can be done with other software much more quickly and the process is a lot less tedious. Plus, I don't particularly care for the cloth simulation function in Blender. While it gives a much cleaner set of quads, if you create in Blender, it takes a lot more time in my opinion and a greater amount of frustration! I had the blanket created in less than 5 minutes even fumbling around; Blender would of taken me 1/2 an hour or more to create it then try to texture it. :-)