Stiff material for curtain rings

Create posts showing how things are done or link to outside pages to help others find valuable resources.
Paulux

Stiff material for curtain rings

Post by Paulux »

Hi,
I am a very begginer to MD and I am struggling with creating a fabric which is stiff to simaulate curtain rings.
I need this blue ring to act as a metal ring. I have been searching for the solution for a few days. I would appreaciate any help.
Attachments
MD_forum.JPG
MD_forum.JPG (78.2 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Stiff material for curtain rings

Post by Rosemaryr »

A couple of tips to help you:
Don't rely on just a ring to provide structural support for an entire curtain. The weight of the curtain's fabric will be too much, as MD's cloth simulations are not like traditional 3D modeling. You have to make the curtain itself slightly different to compensate for this fact.
First, cut-and-sew the top of the curtain into a square surrounding the 'hole'. Apply a new fabric choice to it by making a copy of the main curtain's fabric and then applying a stiffer setting for that. Copy that, and sew it double thickness, like a hem, to provide extra stiffening for the entire top of the curtain.
Second, fill in most of the 'hole' with an invisible fabric, leaving, if needed, just enough of a hole for the curtain rod to go through. Again, make that stiff as well.
By providing a larger area of stiffness surrounding the visible ring, you get more structural support.
Lastly, slightly decrease the Density setting of the main curtain material, which will make it lighter and cause less gravity effect on the whole thing.
Here's a screen capture to demonstrate:
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Stiff material for curtain rings

Post by Rosemaryr »

An alternative approach is to make a controller piece, which is frozen in place. On it place an internal line, split into multiple segments. Change the segment points to curve points to create a regular wave pattern. Sew your curtain to that line.

You then can place the holes to match the curves, and the weight of the curtain is supported by the controller piece, not the rings/holes.