Double Sided Texture Question

Create posts showing how things are done or link to outside pages to help others find valuable resources.
NicoleKligerman

Double Sided Texture Question

Post by NicoleKligerman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I am completely stumped on this bow tie, and was hoping that someone may have some tips for me to fix the texture mapping issue.

I created the bow tie in MD using the different components you can see in the screen shot attached.
Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 11.54.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 11.54.04 AM.png (162.78 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
I found it much easier to just use one piece in MD, rather than two stitched together to create a double sided object. Instead of creating the two sides in MD, I find it easier to use the solidify tool in Blender. For the below example, I imported the tie into Blender, solidified it, and arranged the UV layouts for the two sides and center.
bowties.jpg
bowties.jpg (101.77 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
The problem now is that the front looks fantastic, but the back shows the text as mirrored....you can see the attached image for an example. I suspect this goes back to how it is created in MD so if anyone has any tips or tricks that can help, I am all ears! I have been searching for Blender/MD tutorials on the subject, but have not found anything that has worked.

Thanks, Nicole

LoriGriffiths

Re: Double Sided Texture Question

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:17 am

Hi Nicole,

Beautiful job on the bow. It's very nice. Based on your images, it looks like your normals are flipped on the back. Since you already have it over in Blender, you can easily fix it there. Do you know where that command is? If not, let me know and I'll open Blender and find it. (I don't remember where it is off the top of my head).

If you flip in MD, sometimes MD has a fit and messes up your work. You've done a great job and I'd hate for you to lose it.

Lori

NicoleKligerman

Re: Double Sided Texture Question

Post by NicoleKligerman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi Lori,

Thank you for the kind words! I do know the flip normals function on Blender. I was worried that doing that would also flip the normals on the front resulting in mirrored text on the front of the bow, since they are one piece on MD, which is obviously not ideal :D

I will continue to play with the normals settings on Blender to see if that fixes the issue!

Thanks,

Nicole