Overlock Stitches in MD ? :(

Is there an entire process you would like to see in a written or video tutorial? If so, put your request here so that experienced users know what content you are looking for.
al-kabeer.m-asim-j

Overlock Stitches in MD ? :(

Post by al-kabeer.m-asim-j » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:28 pm

Hello,
I want a video demonstration about curved overlock stitches in MD as image attached.
I am searching & asking but still not received any solution. Also asked from MD forum & some others but not satisfied.
I hope there'll be a proper & easy method to get quality result.
I tried in 3Ds Max & Adobe Ps also but all in vain.

Waiting for proper solution... Thanks

http://www.puckcycling.com/media/catalo ... 2_2__1.jpg

LoriGriffiths

Re: Overlock Stitches in MD ? :(

Post by LoriGriffiths » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:10 am

MD doesn't have any stitch textures at this time. You'll have to use another 3D program to do this. A normal map in another program can pull it off easily. Even a grayscale bump map might do it.

al-kabeer.m-asim-j

Post by al-kabeer.m-asim-j » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:24 am

LoriGriffiths wrote:MD doesn't have any stitch textures at this time. You'll have to use another 3D program to do this. A normal map in another program can pull it off easily. Even a grayscale bump map might do it.
Thanks Lori for your quick response but I still need some video demonstrations about it.
Can you please add a short video for this issue ? I'll be V. V. Thankful to you for this kindness & it'll be v. useful for many others too.

Waiting for Your Kind Response.
Asim

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Technically, while MD6 does not create the stitching patterns that are possible in Clo3D, it *is* available with a work-around within the program.
If you look in the folder structure:
C:\......Marvelous Designer 6 Personal\Preset\Sewing\Topstitch_Image
you will find the (buried) images that you can use.

Create a strip of material, apply the image as a texture (most of them are in .png format, which includes the necessary transparency). The texture will tile properly as well...

Drawback: This really only works well with straight lines of patterns. To form curves, you will have to do some manipulation in a 2D paint program.

al-kabeer.m-asim-j

Post by al-kabeer.m-asim-j » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks Rosemaryr :)
Already got it & working on it,,, Video Tutorial is coming soon, hopefully ! :roll:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:46 pm

Actually, after a bit of testing, I want to amend my previous statement.
You *can* do curved lines of stitching!
The trick is to play with the warp and weft stretch/bending settings....
Create a strip pattern (in other words, a straight line piece, with one row of stitching showing), using the chosen topstitching texture. This can actually bend quite well, if the warp/weft is flexible enough... [I know Lori will chide me for **still** not knowing which one is which, but depending on whether you lay out the strip pattern on the horizontal or the vertical, will effect which one you will eventually adjust.]
Anyway, the 2d texture will bend to follow the strip pattern as it goes around the curves. And all is doable inside MD!

I will get a screen capture up later to demonstrate.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:52 am

Here are the screen capture shots I promised:

The high Stretch Warp setting lets the strip follow the curve by stretching the outside (lower edge of the strip) and slightly contracting the inner edge (upper edge of the strip), so it lies flat when sewn down onto the base pattern piece.
The high Bending Weft setting keeps the strip flat as well... strengthening the fabric across the shorter dimension of the strip.

And as you can see, the stitching texture follows the strip, bending properly with the curve of the lines.

al-kabeer.m-asim-j

Post by al-kabeer.m-asim-j » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:09 am

Rosemaryr wrote:Here are the screen capture shots I promised:

The high Stretch Warp setting lets the strip follow the curve by stretching the outside (lower edge of the strip) and slightly contracting the inner edge (upper edge of the strip), so it lies flat when sewn down onto the base pattern piece.
The high Bending Weft setting keeps the strip flat as well... strengthening the fabric across the shorter dimension of the strip.

And as you can see, the stitching texture follows the strip, bending properly with the curve of the lines.
Hooooooooo... You just hit the target with one kick only :lol:
I got something with normal maps outside MD but now I'll work on Your Guidelines :roll:
THANKS a lot ! 8-)

al-kabeer.m-asim-j

Post by al-kabeer.m-asim-j » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:08 pm

OK,,, I got that circular stitching effect in MD by following Your help but I think it'll be a difficult method for patterns curved with different angles.
Anyhow, THANKS to explore this new way to work more 8-)

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Yes, it acts more like sewing down a ribbon of material.
For tight angles, in real-life, you would miter corners and tight curves.

But, as a general technique, it is pretty useful. I plan to make a collection of pre-made 'stitch ribbons', with the different effects, to simply add into a project as needed. Here is a small sample, just from the stitch images included in MD's folder.