Can you make a tutorial for a ballet Tutu in MD?

Is there an entire process you would like to see in a written or video tutorial? If so, put your request here so that experienced users know what content you are looking for.
greenfalcon44

Can you make a tutorial for a ballet Tutu in MD?

Post by greenfalcon44 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:18 am

Can you make a tutorial for a ballet tutu in MD? Like how do you get the fabric to stick out from the avatar like that. Is there a way to make it solid as the skirt falls around the avatar? Can you make it partially transparent like it is on the fringes of the skirt.
Ballerina tutu: http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1..80OXXX ... -de-la.jpg
If you can't make it stick out like the above one, can you at least make it like this with the transparencies?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 122877.jpg

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

LoriGriffiths

Re: Can you make a tutorial for a ballet Tutu in MD?

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:59 pm

Tutus are a huge challenge. There are several problems in MD. First, it is hard to get the sharp folds. You can use the fold angle on internal lines, but it can look too predictable. It needs to be random. The second problem is distance between layers. MD will push the layers too far apart to be realistic. Also, if you get them close to each other, then they start to conform to each other. That isn't what you want.

The only way I've been able to create good tutus is using Blender. I allowed the layers to actually penetrate. It isn't "real", but it looks good. Also, you can apply material in Blender that has transparency and texture, which you need to represent tulle.

Here's an image of a tutu that I made to give you some inspiration. I won't be making a tutorial on it because it is really about working in Blender.
MDForumPic.png
MDForumPic.png (495.21 KiB) Viewed 1356 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Some suggestions:
Make sure the seam angle between the skirt and the torso is set to 90 degrees.
Lower the density of the skirt to below 10.... this will much reduce the effect of gravity, and will allow any stiffness in the material property settings to help keep the skirt up.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Here a quick experiment to get some suitable settings for you. Check the numbers in the fabric's property settings:

(P.S. The skirt is just a long horizontal rectangle.... which will help when choosing Warp vs. Weft settings....)

It can be further refined, as Lori said, with internal lines laid in, with folding angles applied. They do not *have* to be regularly placed, but making them more irregular would be more work on the details. Also, the lower the Particle Distance, the finer the folds which can be made, but at the cost of processing speed during simulations.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:55 pm

Some further refinements can be made by making the internal line that the skirt is sewn onto, curved itself. I used this technique to make a set of ruffs [available at ShareCG, and they should be able to be opened in MD6]
http://www.sharecg.com/v/71027/gallery/ ... ffs-Part-2
By using a curved sewing line, in addition to a gathering technique, you can increase the randomness of the tutu's ruffling effect.

Create an internal line, and use the Split command. In this example, I split it into 40 equal segments.
Select alternating points [Shift-click to select multiple points], then moved them upwards.
Then I right-clicked on each point in turn to convert them to curve points. This gives the curved final line.

Then I sewed another strip of cloth (onto a base piece which was frozen) for the ruffle. I used the fabric material setting I showed in the previous post to make it 'float'. After the ruffle was created, I then [gradually] lengthened the ruffle piece, in order to increase the amount of material gathered into the ruffle.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:26 am

And for the interpenetration that Lori mentioned, you can prevent layers of ruffles from interfering with each other, by adding a *flat* layer (using the same material setting) between each layer. Make it a bit narrower, so it doesn't show at the outside, (loose) edge. Think of it as a spacing element, keeping each ruffle to itself.

(I'll post a final example picture later... got to get to sleep for work now!)