Sewing more than two edges together?

Is there an entire process you would like to see in a written or video tutorial? If so, put your request here so that experienced users know what content you are looking for.
AdrienneMorrisa

Sewing more than two edges together?

Post by AdrienneMorrisa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:35 pm

Hello! I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for this question. I wasn't sure where to post it. I'm not sure if this question has been posted before.

I'm brand new to Marvelous Designer, and I had a question about sewing edges together. The following link has an example to help explain my question:

https://goo.gl/images/yOawMM

On this blouse, it looks like there are two ruffled pieces of fabric that are both sewn to the neckline. Is it possible to sew two edges to one edge? Or would I have to add in an internal line underneath the collar?

LoriGriffiths

Re: Sewing more than two edges together?

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:28 pm

When you have these types of questions, I think the MD Technical/Software Questions category is best. I may move this to that location later.

To answer your question, Yes, you can sew multiple patterns together at their edges. On the 2D window side of the program you'll find all your sewing tools. There is a tool called Segment Sewing and you'll see a little notch on the button on the right bottom corner. That means there are other tools hidden behind.

Click and hold on the Segment Sewing tool and it will drop down exposing the M:N Segment Sewing tool. That's the tool you want to use. You can sew M (1 or more) edges to N (1 or more) edges. Once you select the tool, it will give you instructions right on the screen how to use it.

The Segment sewing tools sew complete edges to other complete edges (lines between two points). If you need to sew only a partial edge, use the M:N Free Sewing tool.

Good luck and thanks for joining our forum!

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Sewing more than two edges together?

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:15 pm

(That link isn't working for me, but....

Actually it sounds from the description given, that the question is more about two ruffles that are stacked in the same location, rather than side-by-side along one seamline. Something like this? https://img1.etsystatic.com/076/1/86672 ... 1_sgit.jpg

The answer to *that* problem is also --yes....you can certainly have more than one layer of ruffles (or any cloth pattern) attached to the same length of seamline.
Just sew on one set of ruffles, let it simulate and settle, then you can either copy/paste/clone that same ruffle and sew it to the same line, or create a different (different appearing) ruffle and sew it on.