Anyone Using MayaStar and/or MayaFit Add-ons

Does your virtual world need a bit more high fashion? Ask for help or give advice here.
MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Anyone Using MayaStar and/or MayaFit Add-ons

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:55 am

For those of you that use Maya for Second Life clothing, is anyone familiar with and/or using MayaStar or MayFit add-ons?

A friend pointed me to the product on the SL Marketplace and looks similar to Avastar. I followed the link to the videos the creator has posted and looks a bit easier to weight and rig your mesh than Avastar/Blender. I am simply stuck when it comes to Blender weight painting. And being uber new to Maya, I am afraid of getting in over my head since looks can be deceiving.

Has anyone here had experience with MayaStar or MayaFit? Is it really simple to use for ultra new Maya users? Are their other resources, besides the MayaStar Creator's videos, to help you with the product? Again, any information would be appreciated.

Christian

Re: Anyone Using MayaStar and/or MayaFit Add-ons

Post by Christian » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:10 pm

According to help about MayaStar help there is only information in the videos, but i guess if you ask the creator, she might be helping you. I personally found the videos quiet helpful, as well as the sliders menu for the deforming of the avatar. Like you are use to in SL. Also nice that you have some animation which you can see how it will look. The rigging itself is kind of easy. Place the mesh, attache it to the bones, copy skin wheigts from the weight source which come with MayaStar. Delete the not used weight or modify them in the way you need. There is still fine tuneing to be done with the rig, but you will have a good starting point.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:55 pm

Christian,

Thank you! I did spend 2 hours talking to the creator yesterday. I have had issues with installing MayaStar for Mac and seeing the Avatar Model. Hopefully, it is fixed now and Cathy can update her installation instructions for Mac Users since the files reside in a different Maya folder than it was thought. I know others have made videos for Avastar, other than the creator, so thought perhaps other had done the same for MayaStar.

The creator, Cathy Foil, is very nice and very helpful. We had a difficult time connecting due to illness, which made it very frustrating for both of us. Cathy did state, she was going to update her videos for new Maya Users, such as myself. Yay! I can hardly wait but, having worked with Blender and Avastar, I think I have the jist of some of it. It is getting use to the interface and how things being done differently plus, seems to have different names for things as well. LOL, I thought the Blender menus held a lot, seems Maya has even more!

Again, thank you for your reply. I gave Cathy a copy of this URL so maybe we will see her here as well posting helpful hints!

Santaclaus

Post by Santaclaus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:14 pm

I use Mayastar with marvelous designer. It works like a charm. If you don't like blender, then use mayastar.

Mayastar has FREE UPDATES for ever thanks to its updates checker!!!!

Avastar instead is made by Gaia Clary, who is just a GREED. You have support and updates from avastar for just one year. This in time being might get you stuck with an old version of blender missing its improvements.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Santaclaus wrote:I use Mayastar with marvelous designer. It works like a charm. If you don't like blender, then use mayastar.

Mayastar has FREE UPDATES for ever thanks to its updates checker!!!!

Avastar instead is made by Gaia Clary, who is just a GREED. You have support and updates from avastar for just one year. This in time being might get you stuck with an old version of blender missing its improvements.
I have never had a problem with Avastar. Blender is not my favorite software nor, is ZBrush, nor is Maya. Avastar was the first helpful product available that assisted people, generally new folks to 3D modeling, to create and rig mesh clothing for SL. My opinion differs from yours I guess so, we will have to agree to disagree. I don't see Gaia as being greedy. As much work as she puts into the product and tutorials, I doubt she getting rich off of Avastar; if she is able to make a living from it more power to her!

You don't necessarily have to upgrade Avastar, you can use an older version and still works well. Not everyone can afford to have Maya, which is quite expensive, although I am glad Mayastar is available because it makes some tasks easier if you are quite familiar with Maya.

Actually, you don't even need either add-on if you are good with Blender or other 3D software. You can rig and weight any mesh garment in other software using the free files from SL or, I believe Gaia provides for FREE the Workbench files to assist with some tasks, of course, you will have to do it all by hand, which many do.

Thank you for your post! It is good we all like different products and have different styles of doing what we do!

willow

Post by willow » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:46 pm

MorgaineChristensen wrote:
Santaclaus wrote:
Avastar was the first helpful product available that assisted people, generally new folks to 3D modeling, to create and rig mesh clothing for SL.

I don't see Gaia as being greedy. As much work as she puts into the product and tutorials, I doubt she getting rich off of Avastar; if she is able to make a living from it more power to her!

You don't necessarily have to upgrade Avastar, you can use an older version and still works well. Not everyone can afford to have Maya, which is quite expensive, although I am glad Mayastar is available because it makes some tasks easier if you are quite familiar with Maya.

Actually, you don't even need either add-on if you are good with Blender or other 3D software. You can rig and weight any mesh garment in other software using the free files from SL or, I believe Gaia provides for FREE the Workbench files to assist with some tasks, of course, you will have to do it all by hand, which many do.

Thank you for your post! It is good we all like different products and have different styles of doing what we do!
First of all Avastar doesn't assist to create clothes, it just assists people to "properly" weight clothes for fitted mesh. Do the math, you doubt Gaia is getting rich but, if you've sold more than 200 copies of your product worth 27 US dollars /6500 Linden dollars, and you still make your customers pay for future updates do the math and see if she is not a vampire. The workbench wasn't made by Gaia it just has been made importing fitted mesh bones into the old free file made by domino marama. Thatfile anyway is not reliable and not at all of any use if you want to make fitted mesh. To make fitted mesh clothes you need to weight meshes using the new collision bones and also the sliders to deform the avatar using its morphs so you can know how much weight you should use.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Sat May 07, 2016 12:29 am

It is good we have differing opinions. The world would be a boring place if we all held the same opinions.