New to MD..step by step tuts?

Does your virtual world need a bit more high fashion? Ask for help or give advice here.
muyyMaL

New to MD..step by step tuts?

Post by muyyMaL » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:44 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Mala and I am a clothing designer on Second Life. I have a pretty popular store and sales are much better than I would have ever imagined; however, I feel as though I am no where near reaching my full potential due to not making mesh clothing and only making legacy/applier clothing. I'm tired of having to purchased full perm mesh clothing because I know with a little (or a LOT) of help and learning, I can do it myself. I do not intend on stopping my applier clothing as there is definitely a niche for it on Second Life but my dream is to expand my capabilities. I'm not sure if this sounds odd, but my dream is making clothes with the curvier girl in mind. Not necessarily plus size, just curvy if you will. Everything I do is self-taught from Photoshop to HTML to scripting but the world of mesh and MD is brand-new to me. So I suppose after babbling wayyyy too much (I apologize), my question is are there places where I can find step-by-step tutorials?

I am trying to export my own shape so that it is useable in MD but aside from that, I've done the wonderful tutorial that explains MD and how to use it with the sheet, skirt and top from Lori Griffiths. Any other great tutorials out there? I will take any and all help, suggestions, and constructive criticism. Thank you for reading and happy creating! ♥

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Re: New to MD..step by step tuts?

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:20 pm

Having been in SL for many years, you are exceedingly lucky to have a popular store and one that actually has good sales. It speaks well of you. Honestly, the current market seems to be for WELL MADE appliers for the Lolas, Slinks, and now the Belleza, Maitreya, and other mesh bodies so don't give up on that market share just yet.

I would suggest you concentrate on learning Marvelous Designer to begin with. It is fairly easy to use, especially for simple things like shirts and sleeveless dresses. Lori has a great beginner's video on and, to be quite honest, I wish I had it available when I first began using Marvelous Designer. https://www.fearlessmakers.com/marvelou ... -tutorial/

Once you feel comfortable with MD, you are going to need some type of 3D modeling software and learn how to navigate in it. For SL, you are going to need modeling software that will allow you to import an .obj file (I believe most modeling software will import .objs to work with) then it must be able to export a collada file type. SL will not accept any other type of mesh file at this point. Perhaps, the new platform will accept other types when it is up and running. Many mesh creators (both for building components, shoes, hair, clothing, etc.) use Blender, Maya, 3DMax, Zbrush, etc. The prices range from free (Blender) to very expensive $800.00 to thousands of dollars USD. And, none of the these softwares are what I would call very intuitive to learn. But, there are many videos out there, especially for Blender, that will teach a beginner how to use them.

I use Blender because it is free and a personal challenge for me to learn it. You are also going to need to "rig" your mesh and weight it so the garment will move correctly with the AV. I use the Avastar Blender Add-on (it runs about $30 or $40.00 USD) , which makes it easier when it comes to rigging for SL. I know that someone on MP sells an Add-on (for a similar price) for Maya.

You already know how to texture UV maps it sounds like. I prefer to export my UVs from Blender and create a texture using the map and the AOs & Shadows maps imported into Photoshop.

These are just some of the major basics that go into creating mesh clothing for SL before you even import the items. Are many more little steps in your workflow required to make a nice mesh. One of the big ones will be creating your own standard sizes for "curvy mesh" or, "fitted mesh" you have have to contact some of the more curvy mesh AV creators unless you plan on creating your own mesh body to sell.

My blog has some tutorials and resources for SL folks. Browse though the articles for valuable links to different tutorials.

It is a fun adventure in SL so I wish you a lot of luck. If you have questions, I am sure there are others here who can help answer some questions for you .

muyyMaL

Post by muyyMaL » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:44 pm

Morgaine, first I apologize for being soooooo late. RL has been insane and then I have several events inworld so time got away from me. I have however read your response at least 5 times and words cannot express how grateful I am for your advice! Thank you so much for your kind words! I absolutely love my store and always want to find ways to get better and to give back to the community. I promise not to back out of the applier's world because as you said, there is definitely a demand for them.

I have been looking up tutorials and reading from the manual that Lori sent to me via email. You are right. I have a tendency of wanting to know things right away. I normally tend to catch on super fast when its something I want, so this mesh clothing and my not grasping an understanding quickly has been extremely discouraging and frustrating.

In terms of the modeling software. I have both Maya and Blender. I initially tried to learn to make mesh with those programs but found both of them wayyyy out of my league and with no help or instructor, I gave up. I do still need to learn rigging and weighting so I have been looking at Mayastar for Maya and Avastar for Blender. I think I will take your word though since you said there are lots of helpful videos on Blender so I will look into buying avastar. And yes, thankfully I do not how to texture UV maps, that's about the only thing Ive gotten right thus far lol.

I hadn't even thought about creating standard sizing. Ahhhh so overwhelming...so maybe I should stick to standard sizing? =( I would loveee to check out your blog. I think I may have missed the link to it though so I am going to search. Thank you so much for your help, advice, support, and encouragement. It means so much more than you know! ♥

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:04 pm

muyyMaL wrote:Morgaine, first I apologize for being soooooo late. RL has been insane and then I have several events inworld so time got away from me. I have however read your response at least 5 times and words cannot express how grateful I am for your advice! Thank you so much for your kind words! I absolutely love my store and always want to find ways to get better and to give back to the community. I promise not to back out of the applier's world because as you said, there is definitely a demand for them.

I have been looking up tutorials and reading from the manual that Lori sent to me via email. You are right. I have a tendency of wanting to know things right away. I normally tend to catch on super fast when its something I want, so this mesh clothing and my not grasping an understanding quickly has been extremely discouraging and frustrating.

In terms of the modeling software. I have both Maya and Blender. I initially tried to learn to make mesh with those programs but found both of them wayyyy out of my league and with no help or instructor, I gave up. I do still need to learn rigging and weighting so I have been looking at Mayastar for Maya and Avastar for Blender. I think I will take your word though since you said there are lots of helpful videos on Blender so I will look into buying avastar. And yes, thankfully I do not how to texture UV maps, that's about the only thing Ive gotten right thus far lol.

I hadn't even thought about creating standard sizing. Ahhhh so overwhelming...so maybe I should stick to standard sizing? =( I would loveee to check out your blog. I think I may have missed the link to it though so I am going to search. Thank you so much for your help, advice, support, and encouragement. It means so much more than you know! ♥
As we say in Second Life (SL), RL (real life) comes first!

I think we all have the tendency to want something and want it ALL NOW; however, that is just not possible with complicated things. Just look how long it has taken you to work with and understand Photoshop or Gimp. It is the same with making your own mesh clothing. Sure, MD makes it much easier to do but MD does not do everything you need to have a complete and usable piece of clothing for SL. There are many steps, although they do get faster with some practice, and is other software to use and master along the way.

My advice is chose which software you want to learn (Blender or Maya), focus on learning it. Once you have the concept down, then you can learn to use other similar 3D modeling software, although each has their own learning curve to deal with. In the mean time, while you are learning, continue on with what you have been doing to be successful in SL.

I wish you the best of luck.