Workflow to bring a garment into SL

Does your virtual world need a bit more high fashion? Ask for help or give advice here.
firefighter.frimon

Workflow to bring a garment into SL

Post by firefighter.frimon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:22 pm

Hello,

I am quit new to this whole mesh creating story. I own a very popular and successful company in SL which provides clothes for roleplay groups as firefighter, paramedics, coast guardians and so on.
Until now i bought mainly full permission sets which I used to adjust via texturing to the needs of my brand and/or my customers. Also I ordered exclusive custom works from several 3d artists in sl. But unfortunately this becomes more and more cost intensive. (200k L$ for an exclusive custom set).

Because of this I decided that it is time to start to make my own mesh products. I just have some basics skills in blender but not enough to start to make own clothes there. I found MD and it seems that in the creation process MD is much easier to learn and to understand than blender, maya and all the other programs.
As far as I understand the whole story now, the actual workflow to create and bring clothes into SL is as follow:
Export standard sl shapes as xml >> import via avastar into blender >> safe as obj >> import avatar OBJ into MD >> create garment >> export as OBJ >> import OBJ into blender >> rig it >> export as DAE >> import to SL
As far so good .. any comments on this ?

For me not clear until now … do I have to import all standard SL sizes into MD and do the whole workflow again and again until I have the garment for all standard sizes? or do I make the garment with one size in MD and adjust to the different sizes in the rigging process in blender ?

Second… what about difference in male and female versions … If I make a uniform in MD for e.g. the male M avatar, do I need to start over again to make out of it also a female version ?
Regards and thanks in advance

LoriGriffiths

Re: Workflow to bring a garment into SL

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about SL, but Morgaine does. I'm sure she can answer your questions and/or point you in the right direction. Hopefully she'll stop in soon to help you out.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:34 pm

Yep, you have the workflow fine with the exception of a step missing between "Rig it" and "Export DAE". After you have the mesh rigged, you will need to weight paint the garment. Weight painting in Blender is so the garment will move correctly and as smoothly as possible when the AV moves in Second Life. If you are using the Avastar Blender Add-on (this is not a free add-on), you can check Gaia's website http://blog.machinimatrix.org for a variety of videos to help you with varying aspects of Avastar. Also, you can join the Avastar group in Second Life to ask questions and assist others.

No, you do not have to do the entire workflow for all of the 5 standard sizes; however, you will need to export all 5 of the shapes as .xml files and import them into Blender so you will have a working model. You can create and fit one of the standard sizes in MD then use the exported garment obj file for use in Blender. You can then adjust, rig, and weight paint each size as necessary.

RESOURCES--BLENDER & MD
http://ditko.azurewebsites.net
https://www.fearlessmakers.com

Off the top of my head, I would say you are going to have to create a male and a female pattern then refit in Blender for the varying sizes. It will all depend on how close fitting the garments are. A garment will lay differently on a female due to her breasts and hips than it would a male. The good news is you may simply have to resize the garment in MD and add a dart or two.

laurie71

Post by laurie71 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:20 am

I realize this is an old thread but I'm looking for much the same information and this is the first post I found. (I've just come across MD today, so sorry if there's more information available I haven't found yet).

I was expecting at least one or two more steps in that workflow: retopology and baking. As in any game, and especially with SL's extreme resource constraints, any 3D model you bring in should be as low-poly as possible. I'm assuming the output from MD is pretty high poly, no? Does it generate polys for fabric that is covered by other fabric, that wouldn't need to be in the low-poly model? Or does MD include polygon reduction and normal / bump / displacement maps as part of the export process?

A lot of the tutorial videos I've found that go beyond working just in MD (though I've only watched a couple of those so far) seem to involve additional refinement in Z-Brush and other traditional 3D modeling tools, additional texture refinement in PhotoShop / Gimp / etc and so on. Where are the limits of "model it in MD, rig and weight it in Blender, upload it to SL" at which additional tools become necessary?

Thanks!

Laurie

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 am

You can add as many steps to the workflow as desire. Yes, you can retopo it if you like, not everyone does from the mesh clothing I have seen in SL. MD now has a quad function you can use to convert tris to quads but, it still requires work in your favorite modeling software or, did the last time I tried it. You can also bake your maps if you desire. Some prefer to do their shadowing and such by hand in Photoshop or Gimp.

Creating anything in SL or for SL is a labor of love. Clothing creation is very much a labor of love! It's actually easier, cheaper and less frustration to buy something someone else has made. But, doing it yourself will reinforce it can be very time consuming.

You can check out the SL Clothing Wikihttp://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials for more specific information. Check out the Blender or Maya groups in SL.