Help with sleeve and a strap.

Are you lost in MD because you don't know anything about sewing? Are you a skilled seamstress? Meet up here and help each other out.
Skye

Help with sleeve and a strap.

Post by Skye » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi, I've been trying to figure out how to create a strap, like in the picture.
So that the end of sleeve sort of flares out. When I do it, it flops and i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Attachments
8fa5f01857f7211eb2760a618b42ba8a.png
8fa5f01857f7211eb2760a618b42ba8a.png (155.04 KiB) Viewed 191 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Help with sleeve and a strap.

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:04 pm

It would help to see a screenshot of what you consider to be 'wrong', but at a guess, your particular fabric choice isn't stiff enough to hold itself up, the way the jeans material is doing, there in the example image. If you are using the default material, try one of the thicker/stiffer presets. You can also add a bond thickening to the end of the sleeve to help stiffen that particular area.

As for the strap, the easiest way is to first, gather the sleeve using an internal line (situated under the place the strap will lay), then create the strap over it, and just use some tacking stitches to hold the strap in position. Think of it as a small belt.... sew one end of it onto an internal line where the 'buckle' should go, to keep it together, then add the buckle as an rigid accessory: it won't be actually holding the strap together, just pretending to do so.