Frustrating roll

Show us what you're working on and we'll provide words of encouragement and constructive criticism to achieve the best results possible.
Zezillik

Frustrating roll

Post by Zezillik »

Hello! I'm a little new to MD and I am struggling with getting my patterns to fit properly on my avatar. It seems I either add to much fabric and I get crazy large folds or I take too much away and the seams look weird.

Right now I'm making a double breasted style tunic but I am struggling with a large fold on the back. If i pull the back down it just keeps sliding up into this awful roll and I have been banging my head on my desk all week trying to get rid of it. Anyone have any suggestions?
Attachments
example.JPG
example.JPG (132.95 KiB) Viewed 245 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Frustrating roll

Post by Rosemaryr »

First, check the strain mapping. If your garment is too tight [red coloring], the fabric will try to move to an area of less strain. You want the upper torso and hips to guide the amount of width you need on the pattern. Use the measurement tools on your avatar to determine this.
Second, you will likely need [horizontal] darts on the back as well as the front, once your jacket is loose enough to fit over the hips. The specific reference term is 'sway back', and it is a common problem with many 3D avatars. Check this like for a detailed analysis of the issue and the fix. https://designerstitch.com/pattern-alte ... sway-back/. Lastly, adjust the back hemline to offset the vertical loss caused the swayback dart.

Zezillik

Re: Frustrating roll

Post by Zezillik »

Thanks so much! Solving my strain mapping really helped the garment fall properly, then i added some darts on the back, and some under the arm and boom! The rolls are gone. :)