Regency Riding Habit/Queen Louise of Prussia

Show us what you're working on and we'll provide words of encouragement and constructive criticism to achieve the best results possible.
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Regency Riding Habit/Queen Louise of Prussia

Post by Rosemaryr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:52 pm

Based on both a portrait of Queen Louise of Prussia https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... _Luise.jpg, and a re-enactor's recreation of the riding habit http://augustintytar.blogspot.nl/2014/0 ... n.html?m=1, I started on a very lengthy, highly detailed MD project. I am just about finished with the MD work, and hopefully) will be taking it into ZBrush for some final detailing (buttons, etc.)
Here are some of the stages of the MD side of this project.
RegencyDress.png
RegencyDress.png (137.34 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
RegencyRiding45beta.png
RegencyRiding45beta.png (48.05 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
BlueRidingHabit.png
BlueRidingHabit.png (369.05 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Braidwork2.jpg
Braidwork2.jpg (219.41 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Regency8.jpg
Regency8.jpg (261.7 KiB) Viewed 2436 times

k.c..riley

Re: Regency Riding Habit/Queen Louise of Prussia

Post by k.c..riley » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Now THIS is lovely.. how long did it take to do the small details like the golden trim?

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:29 pm

Laying out the decorations took quite a bit of time. A lot of my time was scaling things so the pattern repeat would match at the corners and turning points. Luckily, MD's ability to copy/paste and copy/mirror-paste came in very, very handy. I made sure to do things in sections that could be repeated easily. The red cording pieces are actually in three parts, so that I could shorten or lengthen the central sections without stretching the loops at the ends.
The whole thing was really one of my experiments in whether or not it was actually possible to do all this fine detail work inside MD. I *could* have done all that cording and soutache braidwork in ZBrush fairly quickly and easily with a curve insert mesh.
The results are quite satisfying, for a MD user... and the whole thing can be run through MD's simulation, which is a bonus.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:19 am

Rosemayr,

I like this is very much. You always do such wonderful work with period pieces but, I have always admired the historical costuming you create.

Due to a book series I have been reading the last few weeks, I have been pondering a Regency dress for my next project. How did you get the skirt to lay so nicely in the front and back? I fear folds and I don't seem to get along overly well most of the time. My creations do not seem to fold as nicely as those created by others. I am sure it either things I am not doing or a lot of practice. I have stuck with shorter and tighter skirts to avoid the issue! Your skirt is very nice in my humble opinion.

Also, I like the sleeves...sleeves are another strange and scary thing!

Anyway, just wanted to say I appreciate what you have shared this with us.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 am

I didn't try to control the skirt much. The front is a fairly flat piece, being just wide enough to reach around to the sides. The back is extra wide and is gathered, rather than pleated or folded. MD does gathering quite nicely, almost automatically. Just sew a longer length onto a shorter length. Easy-peasy.
Here is a screenshot showing the layout: the 'waistband' (actually positioned just below the bosom) is split into 3 equal parts. The extra wide back skirt panel is gathered onto one-third of the band, and the front panel takes up two-thirds (which actually wraps it around to the sides partially).
Regency9.jpg
Regency9.jpg (286.56 KiB) Viewed 2425 times

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Good advice! I think it is the little tricks of this nature that really helps some of us that seem to flail around clueless and causes us great frustration. When we get frustrated, we either stick with what we know and don't venture out to other more complex items or, we simply give up altogether. I do appreciate the advice and have taken it to heart while fiddling with this new project I started this morning. If it goes well, will post it in this area for you to offer advice.

Did you sew the under piece internally to the outer piece? I am assuming (LOL...I do assume wrongly most of the time) you didn't sew them together but had them on separate layers to get them to drape so nicely?

Thank you for sharing!

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:50 pm

The jacket is indeed a separate garment. The skirt is sewn to the blue scooped bodice with the white inserts. I did it that way so that I could have the avatar shown with the jacket off, and add white sleeves to the bodice, if needed for an informal portrait image.
(And I do have to occasionally 'nudge' the jacket into position by assigning it to Layer level 1, then when it's back in place, return it to Layer 0.)

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Beautiful Rosemary. It is a hard decision as to whether you spend the time to get all the details you can in MD, or just take it out to something else, like Zbrush. Thank you for sharing your work and expertise. You are truly the master of MD.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:08 pm

A little bit more progress:
Posing is done:

and I've begun to slowly add buttons in ZBrush (the ZB navigation system is sooo different from anything else, it's a constant learning process...)

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Nice progress!

I like how you have her holding the skirt. From a historical perspective, it makes the gown more believable for a time period. Also, I think it much more interesting due to the pose you are using. Is different than what many of us are use to seeing.

The buttons are very nice. I have Zbrush but honestly, am lost trying to use it other than the remesher for quads. Another one of those "when I get some time" projects on the To Do List!

I look forward to seeing your fine garment! Thanks for sharing your progress with us!