Working with Pattern Maker-- Beyond the norms

Show us what you're working on and we'll provide words of encouragement and constructive criticism to achieve the best results possible.
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Working with Pattern Maker-- Beyond the norms

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:58 pm

After tackling the standard figures that I tend to use the most (V4, M4), I decided to push the envelope and try a figure outside the norm... I created an obese version of M4 for an earlier image (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery ... y/2279835/. I had to use a T-Posed figure, as the arms intersected the torso in the A-Pose.

Well, so far no luck. None of the patterns will calculate, even though the regular M4 is the one that gives me the least trouble in Pattern Maker.

(Just keeping you up to date on the work.)

LoriGriffiths

Re: Working with Pattern Maker-- Beyond the norms

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:48 pm

Just looking at this model, I see no reason for the draft to fail. If you want to give me the project file (same way as the prior ones), I'll take a look. This is a great opportunity for me to push the program and see possible issues that may arise. Thanks for giving it a go.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:28 am

I'll send you the files... both the T-pose and A-pose versions.
----------------------
On a purely **3D** note: there *will* be issues with the armholes either way an obese avatar is posed, and measured in MD.

If you measure by the T-pose, to get the 'true' armhole circumference, then, when the arms get lowered, the cloth is pinched between the meshes of the torso and the arm. In real life, the skin would just be squeezed a bit and compensate for that, but in MD the program would have connipition fits trying to keep the cloth on the 'outside' of both meshes.
If you measure by the A-pose and just allow a greater sized armhole to allow the meshes to meet without pinching the cloth mesh, then, if the arm is raised, the garment will be pulled and stretched because it will be too short along the side length/under-arm length line.

Possible solutions for this 3D problem (if animation and posing is required):
1. Design the garment as close as possible to the final desired pose, and not worry about the other extreme pose.
2. Design for one or the other pose, and in MD, help the program 'stretch' the cloth to accomodate the other pose, by manually pulling the cloth out of intersection with the avatar, and into position. (This may lead to texture stretching as a side effect, and may have to be considered.)
3. Add a gusset patch piece to the underarm area. An historical solution to the issue of arm movement, it does not *look* as good as a properly tailored shirt, but does the job of allowing free movement of the arm.

Things to consider in the 3D world vs. Real world discussion.....

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Files uploaded... check your private messages....

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Interesting point on the obese arms. I'm going to have to take a look at that process and see what happens. Thanks for the files, I'm adding them to my repertoire.