Help Required in Making PhotoRealistic Garments

Show us what you're working on and we'll provide words of encouragement and constructive criticism to achieve the best results possible.
juzduit

Help Required in Making PhotoRealistic Garments

Post by juzduit » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:07 pm

Dear All,

Hi ! I am new to the forum , and brand new to CG Graphics and the entire 3D World . One thing which really interests me is the future of virtual clothing . I have been watching a lot of videos , especially Lori Griffiths one's in Youtube about tutorials which really helped me.

Apologies in advance if i may sound like a dimwit but here it goes

So i have made this garment called an Indonesia Kebaya in MD. However the garments still look plastic-y and even my avatar looks too porcelain. My question is , how do i go about making my clothes , and my avatar look more realistic . Do i use another Software to render it ? Have i used Marvelous Designer , or Clo3D to its maximum benefits? Is there something wrong that i am doing

I have attached what i have acheived and some examples of what i am looking to acheive.

I sincerely hope for a kind reply.

Thanks
Randy
Attachments
trial.jpg
trial.jpg (93.79 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
trial2.jpg
trial2.jpg (91.58 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
trial3.jpg
trial3.jpg (112.22 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
11.png
11.png (543.19 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
10.png
10.png (640.45 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
9.png
9.png (810.37 KiB) Viewed 1842 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Help Required in Making PhotoRealistic Garments

Post by Rosemaryr » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:03 pm

You have done quite well, for someone just starting out, both in MD and in CG work in general. You have the right ideas, and the garment is constructed well.

As you can see from your own experience, MD does *not* have every tool that you need for a photoreal rendering. It's lighting and material options are fairly limited, and are mostly focused on the garments.
There are a number of options for both free, and paid-for, rendering tools, and other avatar/human models. Which path you choose will depend on your budget, and personal preferences. Most of the options I will mention do have trial periods, so you can test each to see how well they fit into your work-flow and work style.

For avatar models and rendering options, at the lower end of the price scale we have:
MakeHuman http://www.makehuman.org (Free, open source figures, which can be user modified)
Blender https://www.blender.org (Free, open source modeling and rendering... )
DAZ https://www.daz3d.com (Human figures included with the free DAZ Studio rendering software, more available in shop)
Poser http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-3d-anima ... tware.html (Paid-for rendering software, includes free human figures.)
Hivewire http://hivewire3d.com/shop.html Human figures, some free, some paid-for.

There are avid proponents of each of the above, and other people who swear by something else. [Fair warning: Some CG artists out there will scorn you if you don't do **everything**, from constructing the avatar model, the scenery, the lighting and textures, all by yourself.]
I am sure someone will have other suggestions to add. But these should at least get you started.
There are galleries at most of the above mentioned sites, which will give you an idea of how good (or how poorly) the results can be with those options.
You will have to decide where to best invest your time and money.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:59 pm

I completely agree with Rosemary's recommendations. I'm very surprised you had any success in MD with that lace png on the top. MD currently is having issues with png transparency. I've spoken to them about it and they are very aware of it. I hope that is fixed soon.

You've done beautiful work. You will need to take it out of MD to make it photorealistic. That lace top, for example, will absolutely come to life when you apply a displacement map to it.

You've got a fantastic start. You just need to add some good textures and you'll be thrilled with the results. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

juzduit

Post by juzduit » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:05 am

Thanks for your reply and great comments ! It was very nice and comforting to get feedbacks from you guys.

About the software , i do have explored a couple of options that were available .

However , provided money is no objection , which of these would you think would give me the most optimum results, with Good UI ?

I have used Blender for about 2 days now, however the UI is a bit confusing and there isn't much user content that i can get to "help" me quickstart my project. I saw DAZ3D and I do like its integration with Optitex . I have yet to try them out.

Thanks !

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:41 am

juzduit wrote:Thanks for your reply and great comments ! It was very nice and comforting to get feedbacks from you guys.

About the software , i do have explored a couple of options that were available .

However , provided money is no objection , which of these would you think would give me the most optimum results, with Good UI ?

I have used Blender for about 2 days now, however the UI is a bit confusing and there isn't much user content that i can get to "help" me quickstart my project. I saw DAZ3D and I do like its integration with Optitex . I have yet to try them out.

Thanks !
Blender is very confusing software but, I think the same can be said for Maya and Zbrush! My computer died and waiting on a new one or I cannot easily post an URL. If you are interested in watching beginning Blender videos that might help with the software, you might try browsing YouTube and look for BornCG Beginners series for Blender 2.70. He has quite a few videos for Blender and I have found useful and helpful.

And, your work is very nicely done!

juzduit

Post by juzduit » Wed May 04, 2016 1:58 pm

MorgaineChristensen wrote:
juzduit wrote:Thanks for your reply and great comments ! It was very nice and comforting to get feedbacks from you guys.

Thanks !
Blender is very confusing software but, I think the same can be said for Maya and Zbrush! My computer died and waiting on a new one or I cannot easily post an URL. If you are interested in watching beginning Blender videos that might help with the software, you might try browsing YouTube and look for BornCG Beginners series for Blender 2.70. He has quite a few videos for Blender and I have found useful and helpful.

And, your work is very nicely done!
Thanks for the support !

I haven't came back to this forum in a while ! So apologies for my manerless long reply !

The past 2 weeks have been a whirlwind. I have been trying out DAZ3D , then 3DS Max.
I just couldn't keep up with Blender, it was quite confusing for my liking.
I was still having issues with the realism , which took things back to my material and how i should shoot my fabric / garments , a question which i took into the MD forum and there was some generous feedback. If you're interested to look into it here's the link :

http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/commun ... mmons/9214