Weiss Dress - WIP - Some tips?

Show us what you're working on and we'll provide words of encouragement and constructive criticism to achieve the best results possible.
Saggitas

Weiss Dress - WIP - Some tips?

Post by Saggitas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:55 pm

I'm currently working on the dress Weiss (from the RWBY animated show) wore during her concert. Which looks like a strapless flamenco dress (Correct me if I'm wrong, new to tailoring terms here). You can see the concept art below, I'm talking about the one on the right.

I got here:

I think some the creases will loosen themselves if the legs get straight, although I'm not certain about it. How would I go about making adjustments? Where should I add width? Should I do so at all?

Also I'm wondering how to alter the dress so the skirt is more closely like the one in the concept art. For example it looks like one of the sides of the dress actually goes over the other at the slit rather then just attach itself to the other. If anyone can give me some tips on how to make it better, I'm all ears!

LoriGriffiths

Re: Weiss Dress - WIP - Some tips?

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:13 pm

You've got a great start there. I think most of your problems will disappear when her legs are pulled together. I wouldn't make any adjustments to your sizing, until you pull those legs in.

The skirt is overlapped in the artwork. You need to eliminate the seam, make the connecting pieces a bit longer and then just let them overlap each other. That means you will sew a bit of both patterns to the same space on the waistband. The waistband will hold them up, so they won't fall down.

Good luck.

Saggitas

Post by Saggitas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Ok I'll do that for the overlap, thank you. Then I'm onto rigging for a while so I can make my model move.

Saggitas

Post by Saggitas » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:08 pm

It actually helped with the creases too and generally look better.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:46 am

As a suggestion: make sure the skirt panels are cut on a bias (ie., primarily laid out on a diagonal in the 2D window). That will also help the smooth draping you are looking for.

Saggitas

Post by Saggitas » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:43 pm

My skirt panels are laid out this way. Is this what you meant by cut on biais? If not how can I improve them?

I'm far enough in my rigging to be able to test the dress with the legs closer together. It does remove most of the creases. Although as mentionned by Rosemaryr it's does not have as much of a smooth draping as what I'm going for.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:31 pm

(First a bit of real-world cloth information. This is a bit necessary, as MD is a real-world cloth simulator program, sorry!)

Most *woven* cloth [--not knit cloth, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax--] is assumed to have warp threads (running vertically) and weft threads (running horizontally). The MD 2D pattern window has an assumed warp and weft, aligned with those grey vertical and horizontal lines, respectively. Any pattern that aligns with either the horizontal or the vertical lines tend to resist stretching along those lines: ie., the threads will only stretch so far before they reach their limits. Patterns cut oriented with those lines will be just a tad bit 'stiffer' in some ways. This a a good thing for tailored garments that require 'body' or stiffness of some amount to hold their shapes. But on occasionally, a person wants to have cloth that drapes well and follow the body smoothly.

The real-world solution is to "cut on the bias". Which means rotating the patterns so their primary orientation is on a (usually) 45 degree angle. The drapey, clingy dresses of the 1930s are a common example of what a bias-cut garment can look like.

What I meant earlier was, that it would be most likely of benefit to turn your patterns (which are currently on a primarily vertical orientation) 45 degrees, to reduce those ridges you see along the seamline, and help drape the cloth smoothly on your avatar.

(Lecture over--- ;) *grin*)

Saggitas

Post by Saggitas » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:47 pm

The lecture was welcomed ;p. I love learning new stuff via trying to create something new. It's a big part of my passion for 3D.

It would never have crossed my mind that the angle in which you cut your pattern could have an impact on the stretching properties of the fabric. I made some adjustments to the pattern and turned it at a 45 deg angle and it is so smooth now! I added the sleeves too, which were much easier then I anticipated.

I'll be adding the jewelry in maya, as Marvelous Designer isn't really suited for it from what I understand.

I'll make sure to post a link when I get to animation and use MD for the cloth simulation.

Saggitas

Post by Saggitas » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:44 pm

Just thought I'd post an update with the jewelry and textures in maya.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:34 pm

That looks really good. Nice job and thank you for sharing your final with us.