MD5 Closed Beta -- Monday!

News about MD software or special announcements that should be of interest to all.
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: MD5 Closed Beta -- Monday!

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:19 am

Actually, millinery work is possible, if you take a few extra steps.

One of the biggest problems is gravity: any cloth tends to pull away from/slide down around the head. Turn gravity off in the simulation properties, and this is avoided.
Create an inner 'bag' to cover the head, (and ears!), and freeze it in position. This will help avoid the problems where the finer mesh of the avatar's head tends to 'catch' in MD cloth. (Obviously, discard the 'bag' and don't include it in the final garment.)
If you have a distinct crown-and-brim type hat, make sure the joining seams are set to 90 degrees to get those right angles.
Don't forget that you can use invisible cloth pieces to help hold the shape: for example, a brim with a rolled edge could be made using a two-pattern piece tube, with one of the pieces being invisible. (Or simply use a transparency map on the tube to make it work... either way! ;) )
Very stiff materials are your friends when doing millinery work: it stands in for the buckram support structure that hats actually have, but is usually covered over. I have found that setting the Shear value very high seems to give the stiffest, but most controllable setting. (But play with the Fabric properties for yourself, of course.)
And of course, there are quite a few hat patterns out there on the web, if you can't figure out where to start your design.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hat+pat ... y+patterns

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:37 pm

Thank you for the info, Rosemayr. I will have to play around with this. And, thanks for the search link. I hadn't even thought about even looking for patterns on the net.

I was just wishing my life away thinking Oh now nice it would be if MD added a few more things *grins* since I am a terrible modeler. At least some of my stuff in MD is not too horrible!

Again, my thanks!

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:19 pm

Morgaine,

You should give MD this list of goodies. They won't know anyone is interested, unless you ask. I have no idea HOW you tell them, but you should.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:46 pm

I see that the piping has been improved a bit also. It can now cross seamlines in one continuous run, as long as the selected path is properly joined and matched.
Here in the example pic, I ran a piping around the bodice/waistline seam and it joined cleanly at the ends, but also went *across* the side seams of the dress pattern. Nice development!

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:50 am

Piping has always been an afterthought for me. What I have been creating for just adds too many polys to be worth it for me. The few times I did try to use it ended up merging the ends in Blender to have a nice line. I also had an issue of making a nice clean run, which probably has a trick to it I haven't figured out yet. But, is nice to know it is working better.

Do you add your piping to your pattern pieces or after it is sewn? I am assuming after it is sewn and the other red lines shown are internal lines?

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:10 pm

MorgaineChristensen wrote:Piping has always been an afterthought for me. What I have been creating for just adds too many polys to be worth it for me. The few times I did try to use it ended up merging the ends in Blender to have a nice line. I also had an issue of making a nice clean run, which probably has a trick to it I haven't figured out yet. But, is nice to know it is working better.

Do you add your piping to your pattern pieces or after it is sewn? I am assuming after it is sewn and the other red lines shown are internal lines?
I added it after the dress was sewn together. I deliberately want to test if the piping would cross over a seam-line.
(And yes, those are other internal lines, curving upwards on the bodice. I was doing some experimenting with styles and trims, and those were still in place at the time.)
I did find that the 'Edit Piping' tool seems much more stable: you can drag the end of the piping to where you want it, pretty easily now.
There are still a few issues with the Piping overall: it still is a bit touchy on re-sizing the pipe. Under about PD of 7, it tends to eat itself and the pipe becomes unstable.
I will probably still continue to make my own piping using my own cording; using a pattern piece, which can be better controlled.

wetcircuit

Post by wetcircuit » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Don't want to take this thread off topic or negative, but during the open beta I had problems with "thick" quads not all being quads and then leaving holes where triangles should be.... (Assumed it was a bug... I sent in bug reports and scene files, I don't fault a beta being beta and quad thickness is a new feature.... I'm not naive, I've read MD's forums. New features take time.)
Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 12.28.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 12.28.00 PM.png (371.3 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Since I JUST bought MD4 not so long ago I told myself I would wait to upgrade (like a 5.1 or something). Interface and speed seemed *very* improved all around, but I hit this one snag... and in the short window I didn't have much chance to troubleshoot or explore.... What do you think? Essential upgrade, or wait a bit for an update?

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:40 pm

I've found some issues with MD5 as well. Overall, it's working pretty well. They still don't have the quads figured out. I export OBJ with no thickness and occasionally get gaps at the seams. If I re-export, they disappear.

One thing you could try is exporting Thin and then adding thickness in your 3D program of choice. I prefer this method myself, because then I can designate different thicknesses throughout the garment. It helps define separate pieces.

I also add subdivision modifiers to smooth. The MD stuff looks smooth, but it's chunky if you're trying to do 'real world' renders. This step may be too much for game development.

wetcircuit

Post by wetcircuit » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:03 pm

;) Good advice. The results after people take their garments through a post-process like zbrush is just night and day..., I need to step up my 3D skills – it's never about ONE software.

After the beta I went back to MD4.5 and I'm just sad :lol: