MD5 Closed Beta -- Monday!

News about MD software or special announcements that should be of interest to all.
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

MD5 Closed Beta -- Monday!

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:32 pm

The MD team just announced that they will hold the closed beta testing for MD5 starting Monday, and running for one week. The closed beta will be available to anyone who has joined the MD website.
Lots of requested new features.
See the announcement here, with some screenshots to demonstrate the new features:
http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/commun ... /News/8739

(Although, I have noted that the Fold before Simulation new feature already seems to be active in MD4. They must have been testing it out in the last MD4 update.)

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Re: MD5 Closed Beta -- Monday!

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:21 pm

A week's worth of beta testing seems like a very short time to find all the bugs, although I know there is a very strong user's group in MD. I am looking forward to the 70% increase for Mac Users, which hopefully will make my life a bit less frustrating! I don't see the fold before simulation in my version of MD4, which was updated recently, but that could be a higher level license then what I am using. But, I look forward to all the changes and improvements. Thanks for sharing the link so we can look at the new features coming out.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:53 am

It's a 'closed' beta, which allows more experienced users to get a first look/test run at it. It will be followed, no doubt, by an 'open' beta, (as they have done in the past), which is usually a longer period of time.
(Although their past beta testing periods have always been fairly short overall, compared to other programs I have seen..... On the other hand, they do seem to work out most of the kinks in new features *before* they release them.)

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:42 pm

Rosemaryr wrote:It's a 'closed' beta, which allows more experienced users to get a first look/test run at it. It will be followed, no doubt, by an 'open' beta, (as they have done in the past), which is usually a longer period of time.
(Although their past beta testing periods have always been fairly short overall, compared to other programs I have seen..... On the other hand, they do seem to work out most of the kinks in new features *before* they release them.)
I did that for MD4 before it came out. It was frustrating and I had a lot of projects at the time. I don't think I am going to even try to test this time. Let the serious more experienced user test it. I am sure they can give better feedback than I can. LOL

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:22 am

I just downloaded the new MD5. I'll put it through the paces and see what happens. There are a lot of features here that I will use immediately. I'm very excited about this version.

Thanks for the heads up Rosemary.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:48 pm

One of the new features that I'm sure you will love is the Avatar Measurment system. It has worked, for me, on several different custom avatar shapes. You will have to import your custom avatars using one of the known conversion systems: for my example pic, I'm using a custom Poser M4 figure: (Extra portly), so I used the Poser scale for import.
It is still a bit quirky in implementation, so be patient with it.
Use "Basic Measuring Tape" for lengths: shoulder to elbow, nape of neck to waist, etc.
Use one of the "Circumference" measurements for wrap-around places: armscrye, waist, etc.

From there: use Lori's system (or someone else's ) to build a custom sloper set.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:25 am

I was playing with this new toy today. It's just wonderful and perfect for drafting patterns. I'm so glad that MD chose to include this feature.

There are a lot of other new features that work well. I can't wait to do a video on all of them to show how powerful MD is becoming.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:07 am

I had a problem when I tried to use the circumference measurement for a custom maternity model. I never could get the thing to work properly around the belly; it always angled from the abdomen to the buttock. It wouldn't allow me to rotate the measurement or move it once set. But, then again, I am not working with the best model in the world. I think it would be nice if you could move/rotate after the tape was set.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:35 pm

It really isn't working very well and it's fussy. I think they need to do some more work, but at least they acknowledged that it is needed.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:55 pm

I can't agree with you more! It is very fussy and needs a bit of fixing but, on a positive note, it was included. I am hoping the MD makers are recognizing, as more users some on board with MD, most are going to bring custom models with them. Thus, the convenience of measuring will be needed along with the ability to easily manipulate the measurement tool for measurements not necessarily used by the clothing design industry, such as tail measurements, maternity belly shapes, customized non-human heads, etc.

Something I would like to see them add is millinery. Yes, you can create hats in other software but why do so? We be easy enough to add some pre-made forms and some additional fabric/materials settings, which honestly would also be useful for belts, purses, and other accessories. Heck, if I am going to dream, why not add pre-made shoe forms? MD could be a one stop shop for all your clothing design needs.