Pattern Maker for Marvelous Designer

News about MD software or special announcements that should be of interest to all.
LoriGriffiths

Re: Pattern Maker for Marvelous Designer

Post by LoriGriffiths » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:36 pm

Marcus,

Thanks for the testing. I've been doing the same myself. I found out that I can specify a unit of mm in the SVG code itself. I did a bunch of trials and I can size the pattern correctly and it perfectly fit the 50x50 box in MD. The problem is the code. I was using the Raphaeljs framework for the SVG. Turns out it won't work with user defined units. I can still do it, I just have to re-write all my code for the patterns.

I'm going to do a complete re-write, but it will take a bit of time. I really can't tell you how much I appreciate your suggestion. It was brilliant and I wouldn't have even looked into this possibility, if it hadn't been for you. I'll let you know when it's working properly.
Last edited by LoriGriffiths on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:37 am

Turns out that I was over complicating the process. I was able to fix the sizing without re-writing any of the code using some special SVG specs. I updated the patterns and tested each one myself. The output PNG is now the exact size needed in MD. No sizing needed. Please give it a try and make sure it works for you too. Thanks again for the suggestion. It turned out to be an easy fix.
MarcusLaGrone wrote:Hey, Lori!
I think (THINK!) that MD is importing assuming either 72dpi or (28dpcm)...
I measured one of your squares as ~195 pixel which means that the square should be ~68.8mm
I drop a square on your pattern and try and fit the square to your image and it lines up VERY VERY close.

Since the math is happening on your end, try 72dpi or 28dpcm and see what happens!

--Marcus

edit: I scaled the png by 50/68.8 ths and it is pretty darn close! not sure if it is 72 dpi or 28 dpcm but it appears to be one of them!

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:51 am

Great Idea! I print these all the time for my use. I should have shared. Bad me.

https://www.fearlessmakers.com/blog/wp- ... s-List.pdf
Rosemaryr wrote:Lori, a suggestion, if I may?
Could you make a blank version of this pdf:
https://www.fearlessmakers.com/blog/wp- ... ements.pdf
with no measurement, or avatar identifiers.
That way we can fill in the measurements for each of the different avatars we use, and keep the records ourselves, neatly. That way, we wouldn't risk loosing anything, since the browser only keeps one avatar's info at a time.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:47 pm

Thanks, Lori!
(Now on to the slow process of measuring, in my few available minutes during the holiday season.)

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:35 pm

[As a quick tip for others, I have found that holding down the Shift key while dragging a measuring tape tool, will confine it to a strictly vertical or horizontal movement. This may make setting critical lines a bit easier to do.]

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:16 pm

So, I'm trying to make sloper patterns for V4, since she is my standard figure just now.
Given that V4 is bustier than the MD default avatar female, the measurements I've gotten seem reasonable, but I keep getting an error message conceerning the 'Shoulder Width Line'.
Checking the layout of where I've placed my lines, does it seem correct? As you've said, everything tends to start at that shoulder line placement, so I'm just not sure what is going wrong.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:52 pm

This looks very good Rosemary. No obvious errors. However, I don't see the Shoulder Slope here. Did you take that measurement after this image was taken?

If you can get the measurements to me, I'll try it out here for you. It would only take a moment and I don't mind. You can attach your measurements here in the forum publicly, send me a private here or email me off the FM website. Whichever way suits you.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:24 am

Yes, I went through the set of numbers a couple of times.... this image was at about attempt #4. I'll get the complete set posted in the morning. (Have to get ready for work now.)
One question: It isn't clear from the angle on the example image, but the Shoulder Slope line does run through the Breast apex point also? Or does it run directly from the Shoulder down to the center of the waist? (This could make a difference, since V4 is so bust-heavy.)

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:48 pm

The Shoulder Slope does run from the Shoulder Point to the Center Front Waist Point. It should be a straight diagonal with no points between using the Basic Tape. You can give me your MD project file with the model, if you want me to review the measurements, too.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:24 pm

I've dropped you a line in the Private Message area, with a link to the complete MD project file.

The figures I have come up with so far, are as follows:
V4 Standard
Full Length Front
Center Length Front
Mid-Armhole Width Front
Shoulder Across Front
Bust/Chest Width Front
Shoulder Slope Front
Shoulder Length
Shoulder to Mid-Armhole Front
Mid-Armhole Height Front
Side Length
Waist Width Front
Bust/Chest Height Front
Bust Apex Width Front
Measurement Scale

As you can see, they are all within a reasonable amount compared to the MD avatar's figures, so I guess maybe I didn't lay out the measuring lines quite right. What are the tolerances, for the measurements? (Since they calculate to the 1/100th of the mm unit....)