Pattern Maker for Marvelous Designer

News about MD software or special announcements that should be of interest to all.
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Pattern Maker for Marvelous Designer

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:15 am

Next question:
Should the line for the "Full Length Front" be parallel to the Center front line, or should it run out to the breast apex?

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:31 pm

It should run from the side neck point to the waist directly. Looking at your model, I think the problem is her breast apex points. They are pointing to the sides instead of straight forward.

Because she does have larger breasts, I think the measurements are skewed because those tape lines are falling between the breasts and the apex are turned out. In real world, sometimes a ruler or a similar item is held in place from apex to apex to act as a bridge and then the measurements are taken. This prevents the tape from falling 'behind' the apex.

Using the measurements you provided, I'll see if I can hand draft and find the point of failure.

I don't see your project file in Private Messages?? I'd love to give it a go and see if I can come up with a good set for you.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Okay, after some playing around I think I have a solution. Please see the image for reference. Create two circumference circles one above and one below the breasts. Measure from top one to bottom one at center front where there are no breasts. Now measure again over the top of the breast apex, top to bottom. Subtract the smaller from the larger number.

Add that difference to the center front, shoulder slope and full front measurements. I think your draft will run without errors with this modification. It is a hack, but I think it should suffice.

Let me know, if this works okay.
Bust Diff.png
Bust Diff.png (213.08 KiB) Viewed 1898 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Okay, I'll give it a try this weekend, when I get the chance to work on it.

(I was wondering if my placement of where to put the breast apex 'points' might have been the root of the problem, but if you have now had a look at the figure, and seen it, I guess I wasn't too far off. .....This is one of those moments when your tailoring knowlege definitely beats out my self-taught play-by-ear method of garment construction. I was trying to get some more technical skills under my belt. It may take a while to learn! :D )

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:45 am

Rosemary, if anyone can do this well it is you. You already know a LOT about garments. Once you figure out this measurement thing, you will be unstoppable. It's one of those processes that seems really strange and then one day it just clicks.

I was looking at your model more and I'm not sure you want to add that difference to the shoulder slope measurement. It looks like it is going over a bit of the breast. Try adding the difference to the center front and full front first to see what happens.

I've got three more patterns to add to the Pattern Maker. They are all for dress shirts and include a 2-piece collar with stand, sleeve/cuff/placket and shirt button extension.

Are there any patterns that you think would be a good addition to add? You've helped so many people over the years, I figure you know what people could use.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:56 pm

/me looks at both Lori and Rosemayr and cries really loud!

Oops, spam I suppose. I gave up trying to measure the AVs and just wing it anymore! I am sure you both can tell! :-) Keep up the good work you two.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:25 pm

(Sorry, for not getting back onto this as quickly as I hoped. I work full-time in retail, (USA), and right now, ....'Tis The Season' [of Consumer Insanity]' for me. I'm coming home exhausted and not really up to the fiddly precision, and concentrated work this needs.)

I am sooooo looking forward to retirement, in a couple of years!!!!

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:42 pm

Rosemary I completely understand. I'm here if you need me. I'm developing something new for everyone and now I'm bogged down in coding again. The fun projects never end.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:36 pm

Well, the bodice still eludes me, but I was able to produce a reasonable sleeve, pants and skirt sloper for V4. (Yeah!)
I'll keep trying the bodice issue when there is a bit more time.

I think a large part of the problem lies with the fact that any 3D model has individual polys that, when an MD measuring tape is put on them, will effect the direction of the way the tape sits on the surface. ... And that will, in turn, effect what specific measurements are made.
Last edited by Rosemaryr on Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Lori, I noticed that for the female bodice, there is no "Neck Front" measurement input spot, as there is for the Male shirt/bodice set (which I successfully completed).
Could that be the reason for the inability to make the female bodice?
( I did try a 'cheat' by inputting the V4 measurements into the Male shirt form, but the 'Shoulder Width' error message still comes up.)

I'm going to try with another female avatar: one with smaller breasts, to see how that comes up...