MD7 has been officially released.

News about MD software or special announcements that should be of interest to all.
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

MD7 has been officially released.

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:54 pm

...with some pretty neat showreel footage, and a new on-line gallery display format.
https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/commu ... News/10084

LoriGriffiths

Re: MD7 has been officially released.

Post by LoriGriffiths » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:19 pm

The showreel is really nice. It's funny to see how far MD has come over the years.

Thanks for sharing Rosemary.

chuck.shultz

Post by chuck.shultz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:30 pm

Ok...newbee here....
want to buy but confused on license renewal etc and so far not getting much help from MD...
Basically I want to know:
1. What are the pro and cons on buying a perpetual licence vs yearly?
2. If I buy the new Yearly and decide not to upgrade or renew at the end of the year and let the licence expires, does that mean my software will no longer work as a stand alone program?

Reason I ask is simple, I don't normally upgrade just to upgrade especially since it takes me a year or two to learn and produce stuff I like.

But I am a blender user and like the idea of a faster way to create the clothing so that is why I am considering it.

Thanks

wetcircuit

Post by wetcircuit » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:34 pm

My advice based on your description is to wait for a sale (if you can) and buy the perpetual license. Get on the MD mailing list and they will alert you.

If you are patient and don't compulsively need the latest version, MD goes on drastic sale at the end of each version's life cycle – the last couple of years this sale has been mid-May to mid-June. Shortly after, the next version will be announced, but you'll be outside the window for a "free" upgrade. The old version works fine, it is just "last year's" version…. Eventually, when that same sale comes around again, the upgrade will also be discounted. I believe this is the cheapest strategy to get MD, and the only caveat is that you will be using last year's version….

By waiting for the May sale to upgrade, I have saved money over the annual subscription price (there are a few other sales during the year, Black Friday etc, but the one in May-June has been the BIG one). Looking back over my invoices the dollar amount has fluctuated, but I've paid between $83 and $133 per upgrade by buying when on sale (compare to $300 Annual Subscription)…. That doesn't include my initial purchase which was at full price, but overall I am still ahead.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:36 pm

WetCircuit,
That is some fantastic advise. I hope many people considering MD see it. Given what I do, I can't be that far behind in versions, but I'm getting the software free at the moment (Evangelist).

If I was just a hobbyist and not teaching, your system is ideal.

wetcircuit

Post by wetcircuit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:51 pm

LoriGriffiths wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:36 pm
... I'm getting the software free at the moment (Evangelist)….
correction: Waiting for the May-June sale sale is the second cheapest strategy to get MD. :lol: