Curved Sleeve for Male Sports Jacket

If you're using PatternMaker PRO with MD, here's a great place to show off your work or ask questions. All subscribers and non-subscribers are welcome to participate.
kmwhitt

Re: Curved Sleeve for Male Sports Jacket

Post by kmwhitt » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:39 pm

Yes, I saw the sale. I was able to find my download for V6 and have about 10 months to go on the current annual subscription. Thanks.

I am trying shoulder pads now. Is it best to sew them in? When I try sewing them to the arm cap, the top of the shoulder becomes much thicker than the sleeve/cap itself creating a pucker. Are they supposed to be sewed at the seam? Are they supposed to be sewed at all?
Attachments
shoulder pad.png
shoulder pad.png (154.75 KiB) Viewed 809 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:07 am

Could we see the shoulder pad by itself, and indicate where/which seam you are sewing the jacket's shoulder seam and the shoulder pad together? The way the jacket sits, makes me think that the attachment seam is on the bottom edge of the shoulder pad. At most it should be along the upper curve, and the jacket would then fall more naturally.

kmwhitt

Post by kmwhitt » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi Rosemary -

Thanks again for the reply. Attached is the exploded view showing the shoulder pad sewn to the arm cap. Is this wrong? Should I sew it to the shoulder? I started taking CG Elves tutorials yesterday and I just finished the layer cloning video. Do you think this could be helpful for this situation instead of using MD's pads?

Kevin
Attachments
exploded view.png
exploded view.png (350.55 KiB) Viewed 804 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:00 pm

I think the fact that you are using the thickness setting, is what (maybe) throwing it off.... It looks like the seams are connecting in such a way that they force a curve, where it should be smooth.
You may just want to use a tacking stitch to hold each of the three main corners (top of the shoulder near the neck, and the two lower points nearest the armpits) of the shoulder pad in position, rather than sewing the entire thing into the jacket along every seam. I know that is often how shoulder pads are put in, anyway. Just let the jacket lay on top of the shoulder pad.

kmwhitt

Post by kmwhitt » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:58 pm

Thanks again for your input! I will give your suggestions a try in a few days after I complete some more pressing work. ;)