What exactly is Pattern Maker Pro?

If you're using PatternMaker PRO with MD, here's a great place to show off your work or ask questions. All subscribers and non-subscribers are welcome to participate.
Dag

What exactly is Pattern Maker Pro?

Post by Dag » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:49 pm

I haven't really understood what it is yet and I can't find a video where it is being demonstrated?
Could anyone maybe shed some more light on it, thanks! =)

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: What exactly is Pattern Maker Pro?

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:28 pm

https://patternmakerpro.com
Scroll down to the video explanation. Lori does the best job of saying what she wanted to accomplish....

https://patternmakerpro.com/pattern/
Library of pre-made patterns that are available.

Lori wanted to simplify the process of making properly fitted garments, for a variety of avatars, (including a way of fitting custom avatars), if need be. Most of the more common avatar figures have already been measured, and pattern blocks created for the most common garments that people seem to want. You simply choose which figure you want to fit, and select the patterns for that figure.
Most of the pattern parts are interchangeable: for example, you can choose any sleeve type and simply add it to a base garment. (Note: this pre-made interchangeability of parts seems to be something that MD may get in the next, upcoming version. I think that someone liked Lori's idea, and decided to incorporate it!)

LoriGriffiths

Re: What exactly is Pattern Maker Pro?

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:37 pm

There are a couple advantages to PatternMaker PRO. First, you have a huge library of patterns to choose from. As Rosemary stated, you can mix and match sleeves, collars and other details to create thousands of garments. Second, is the ability to draft the patterns using any set of measurements you want. Just bring in your custom avatar to MD, measure it, put those measurements in PatternMaker PRO and draft all the patterns. It is very easy.

I think that someone liked Lori's idea, and decided to incorporate it!

That's a nice way of putting it. I think that the MD team watches my developments very closely. I've already seen garments in the MD store that look suspiciously familiar. Nothing like the company you promote taking away your income source. Just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. (yes, that is sarcasm.)

The downside to what MD is doing is sizing. They may offer patterns to mix and match, but they will be sized to a specific avatar. They may incorporate scaling functionality for the patterns, but that will introduce lots of fitting problems.