Bounding Volumes & Arrangement Points on Custom Avatar

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
LoriGriffiths

Bounding Volumes & Arrangement Points on Custom Avatar

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:50 pm

I got an email from someone that needed help to set up bounding volumes and arrangement points for a custom avatar. I intend to do a full tutorial, but in the mean time, these instructions may help you.

You may want to open an MD default avatar, turn on the show bounding volumes and show arrangement points and then take a screenshot so you have a reference to look at as you work on yours.

Bounding Volumes (BV)
1. Open your avatar in MD. No garments.
2. In the Object Browser (far top right), click A-BV tab
3. Select Add (may have to select it after creation to open it's properties)
4. Now you have a bounding volume in the 3d view. Use the Gizmo to move it into place. Use the Height, Radius X and Radius Y values in the Property Editor to size it the way you like. Give it a name. This is important later.
5. Now repeat for all the bounding volumes you want (refer to your reference image).

Arrangement Points (P)
1. Object Browser > A-Point tab > Add (may have to select it after creation to open it's properties)
2. In the Property Editor, Select the BV you want the point on.
3. Use the X, Y, Offset and Wrap Direction to get the point where you want it.
4. Offset determines how closely a pattern will 'hug' the bounding volume.
5. Add as many arrangement points as you feel necessary.

Test it by creating a pattern and using your points to place it. Make adjustments as necessary.

Save your avatar, so you don't have to do this again.

There are features available on a per pattern basis, not just the Arrangement Point. If you have a pattern that is too tight to the body or too loose, look in the Property Editor at the bottom under Arrangement. You can adjust on a pattern-by-pattern basis, if the defaults you've set on Arrangement Points don't work properly for that pattern.

UPDATE: August 24th, 2015 - I created a video tutorial for this https://youtu.be/xnrrefVenk4
Last edited by LoriGriffiths on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

vintorix

Re: Bounding Volumes & Arrangement Points on Custom Avatar

Post by vintorix » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:16 am

1) Bounding Volumes should always be placed between two joints and the name of these joints should be entered in the drop down parameters fields Joint Name 0 and Joint Name 1. When you position your avatar in the x-ray mode, the BV do not follow automatically, you have to press the FIT button (in the object Browser) to make it follow.

2) Furthermore, if you have an outfit where "Reset 3D Arrangement" work, you can save much time with other avatars. Just load the new avatar (with its BV), press reset 3D Arrangement and it will automatically fit the garment to a new avatar when you simulate.

None of that will work if the joint fields are not filled in.

Finally many persons do not use arrangement points. But even if you don't, you still should assign an arrangement point to the the pattern in the property Editor. Otherwise you can not adjust on pattern-by-pattern basis Lori is talking about.

wetcircuit

Post by wetcircuit » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:45 pm

For me this was the most intimidating part of MD, not because it is difficult but because I didn't understand their function. To a newbie it seems very strange and elaborate - since I didn't understand the purpose it was a process of "just following along" without rhyme or reason... which I am not very good at. I worked without any BVs for my own figure until I realized I could just copy BVs from another figure and fit them in a few minutes....

In your tutorial, if you could demystify their function first. Until reading this thread I still thought they were just an arrangement aid. I didn't think about how they could make fitting to other avatars faster (all the more reason to copy BVs from existing figures...)

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:25 pm

wetcircuit wrote:For me this was the most intimidating part of MD, not because it is difficult but because I didn't understand their function. To a newbie it seems very strange and elaborate - since I didn't understand the purpose it was a process of "just following along" without rhyme or reason... which I am not very good at. I worked without any BVs for my own figure until I realized I could just copy BVs from another figure and fit them in a few minutes....

In your tutorial, if you could demystify their function first. Until reading this thread I still thought they were just an arrangement aid. I didn't think about how they could make fitting to other avatars faster (all the more reason to copy BVs from existing figures...)
They really do a bit more than just being 'an arrangement aid'.
They also ensure that the pattern pieces are correctly oriented with their normals outward from the avatar. Since the 2D window is flat, the pattern pieces there are assumed to have their normals pointing out from the monitor screen, but in the 3D window, the normals have to orient **onto the avatar**.... Thus, when using the arrangement points, a pattern piece for the back is automatically rotated in 3D space to put it's normals in the correct orientation.
The other useful thing is the offset that is a part of the bounding volume cylinders: using various amounts of offset can make a pattern piece curl tighter/looser onto a limb or torso area and bring the seams closer together or farther apart. Up to a certain amount, however, as there is a maximum amount allowed.....If you need a larger 'cylinder', create new one of your own. I have made and saved specific larger bounding volume sets for extra wide skirts, sleeves, capes and other garments which use larger pattern pieces.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Thank you Rosemary and Vintorix for expanding my post. I will make note of your comments and include them in the tutorial.

mike.pole

Post by mike.pole » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:36 pm

I'm trying to make a sleeve that is much longer than the arm (i.e. the end will eventually have to be pulled back to the wrist). To facilitate this, I've tried both extending an existing arm bounding volume on a default avatar, and also tried adding a new, long bounding volume. In both cases, when the pattern is associated with an arrangement point, the pattern is shortened, I guess to make it fit between two joints. There doesn't seem to be an option to make a new bounding volume for a default avatar which isn't associated with joints. Any way around this - other than starting from complete scratch?

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:31 pm

mike.pole wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:36 pm
I'm trying to make a sleeve that is much longer than the arm (i.e. the end will eventually have to be pulled back to the wrist). To facilitate this, I've tried both extending an existing arm bounding volume on a default avatar, and also tried adding a new, long bounding volume. In both cases, when the pattern is associated with an arrangement point, the pattern is shortened, I guess to make it fit between two joints. There doesn't seem to be an option to make a new bounding volume for a default avatar which isn't associated with joints. Any way around this - other than starting from complete scratch?

The pattern will *not* change their size because the BV has changed. You can put a long pattern on a BV, and it will extend beyond the BV by itself.

Here are two images, both with a long pattern applied to an arm BV/AP set.
The first image shows the default BV... you can see that the pattern will extend well over the end of the hand (I *did* use the AP dot that was at the wrist position, instead of the central dot.)

The second image shows an altered BV for that arm: the BV is much longer, which helps put the central AP dot lower on the arm, but the pattern isn't effected in length.

What I *think* may be happening to your sleeve pattern is orientation issues. Try selecting that pattern and altering the orientation setting by 90 degrees.

mike.pole

Post by mike.pole » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:17 am

Thanks so much for getting back to me. Sorry for the long delay, I'm traveling and haven't had a chance to sit down with MD. Yes, you are definitely right about it being an orientation issue. When I click an arrangement point it's the sleeve length that wraps around the arm. If I rotate the sleeve so it is at right angles to the arm - it works. But this doesn't seem right - is there an 'orientation setting' that I'm missing/haven't found (that doesn't physically rotate the pattern?)

Rosemary

Post by Rosemary » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Yup. With the pattern selected, and assigned to any Arrangement Point, look in the Property Editor, for Arrangement>Orientation. (It'll be down towards the bottom of the options. You can set this to any number to rotate any number of degrees you want. Default is 180. To rotate to wrap at right angles, use 90 or 270. (This also makes it easy to wrap a spiral around an arm or leg; just put in a number other than 0, 90, 180, etc.)

mike.pole

Post by mike.pole » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:54 pm

Got-it.....! (: Thank you!