[SOLVED] layer collision problem

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
dynamesh

[SOLVED] layer collision problem

Post by dynamesh »

Hello everyone
I want to add a second layer of fabric on top of my jacket but the collision doesn't seems to be working. The inner fabric just went through the outer fabric. I have set the layer numbers correctly under the simulation properties tab. Does anyone know what is wrong?

Thank you very much for you help.
A.png
A.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 63 times
B.png
B.png (969.16 KiB) Viewed 63 times
C.png
C.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 63 times
D.png
D.png (844.28 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Last edited by dynamesh on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: layer collision problem

Post by Rosemaryr »

If you are going to be sewing it down onto a previous garment, don't use the Layer settings. That is meant for keeping separate garments in their relative positions, like pants over shirts, or a jacket over both pants and shirt.
Instead, use right-click on the pattern piece in the 3D window, and from the list choose "Superimpose-Over".
The other approach would be to select the pattern piece that was already there, and use the Layer Clone-Over (if the new pattern piece is the same as what it is going to be sewn onto). [It is unfortunate that this option uses the word Layer, as it conflates two different operations, but that's what they chose to use. *shrug*]
dynamesh

Re: layer collision problem

Post by dynamesh »

Rosemaryr wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:13 pm If you are going to be sewing it down onto a previous garment, don't use the Layer settings. That is meant for keeping separate garments in their relative positions, like pants over shirts, or a jacket over both pants and shirt.
Instead, use right-click on the pattern piece in the 3D window, and from the list choose "Superimpose-Over".
The other approach would be to select the pattern piece that was already there, and use the Layer Clone-Over (if the new pattern piece is the same as what it is going to be sewn onto). [It is unfortunate that this option uses the word Layer, as it conflates two different operations, but that's what they chose to use. *shrug*]
I messed around with various settings and I found the collision problem seems to be caused by the Proximity detection setting inside the Simulation Properties. I am using GPU simulation and by default the Vertex-Vertex option is off, I switched it on and the weird collision on my jacket disappeared. I am not sure why is that but my guess is that if you are using GPU simulation and you don't turn on this function, self collision of garments will not be taken into account or they will act very strange(just like how my jacket did).

That fixed the problem but as you suggested, I think I should have used Superimpose-Over for garment that will be sewed on to another garment.

Thank you very much for your help!