MD7 Zipper Question

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
joel.acevedo

MD7 Zipper Question

Post by joel.acevedo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:06 am

Hi all! I am trying the product and I have noticed that when I export the garment as OBJ and import it to DAZ3D, everything looks good except the zipper. Slider and puller are fine... but the texture and teeth of the zipper are not imported at all. Any idea on how to fix this?
md-daz-zipper-issue.png
md-daz-zipper-issue.png (909.74 KiB) Viewed 605 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: MD7 Zipper Question

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:34 pm

...had to do a bit of experimenting with the exports to pin down the issue. MD keeps it's resources in a couple of odd places.

There is an image file that should have been connected to the exported object. The base location should be:
[MD7 base folder (...whereever you installed it) ]\Preset\Zipper\Plastic.png

That is the one you need to show the zipper's teeth.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:43 pm

The zipper tape, cloth and teeth, are textures only. The teeth are not sculpted objects.

You have to apply the image and then a normal map, if you want it to appear outside of MD. Rosemary has given you the location of the image that MD applies in the program.

Hope that helps.

joel.acevedo

Post by joel.acevedo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:23 am

No luck! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The texture is already part of the zipper. I added the Normal Map to the zipper and used path given by Rosemary! But when I export, nothing. Here are my zipper properties.
Attachments
md-daz-zipper-issue2.png
md-daz-zipper-issue2.png (314.86 KiB) Viewed 585 times

joel.acevedo

Post by joel.acevedo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:27 am

Noticing that when exporting, the graph of the 'zipper' is not on the list.
Attachments
md-daz-zipper-issue4.png
md-daz-zipper-issue4.png (14.38 KiB) Viewed 584 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:33 am

It's more of an relative vs. exact file location issue. For example, when I import a garment into Poser, it does asks for the location of the "plastic.png" file, which indicates the need for it *is* included with the garment object file, but the designated location has truncated the file location to a relative: instead of (for example) "C:\\[MD7]\Presets\Zipper\plastic.png", it is calling for "...\Zipper\plastic.png". The export system does not copy the zipper image file along with the garment; it just includes the reference to it. You will need to manually specify the file location yourself inside your rendering program. You need to select the particular material for the zipper cloth strip, and assign the file to it.

[I can tell you that in Poser, at least, this cloth strip loads as a material with the default name of "Fabric #####" as opposed to the default names for any cloth pieces which usually start as "Material #####". I don't know if the same is true for DAZ Studio, but that's what you can look for.]

joel.acevedo

Post by joel.acevedo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:01 pm

DAZ displays it as Material#####. I tried to add the missing texture under
surfaces/diffuse color/
and I got something. Tried to fix it by changing the Vertical and Horizontal tiles... but the texture is rotated horizontally. :(

' You need to select the particular material for the zipper cloth strip, and assign the file to it. '
Does anyone know how to do this in DAZ?

I know you can add textures to objects, but in this case... how can I force DAZ to add this material to the garment... the way everything else is added? Or how can I add the material?

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:23 pm

It might be best to ask that question in one of the DAZ Studio oriented forums. (Unless one of our readers has more experience with that program, and would be willing to contribute a more applicable answer for you. Sorry!)

Edit: I did some poking around in DAZ Studio, with the same .obj that worked in Poser. {Ugh, I dislike the D/S UI... but that's a personal preference. Don't take my attitude as anything more, please. I don't want to start a flame war!}
Anyway, it first came in, as you said, with no image of the teeth on the zipper's cloth strip. What you need to do, is 1) click on the cloth strip for the zipper, in order to select it, then in the Editor tab, 2) click on the tiny 'down' arrow in the *Diffuse Color* slot. This brings up a pop-up menu. Click on the Browse option, and navigate to the image file location for the file "Plastic.png". Select that, and it should appear in proper orientation and scale on the cloth strip as it was in MD. (It should be able to also apply a normal map, as there is a slot for that in the Editor panel. But I'm no texturing expert, so I haven't played with that yet.)

I will do some more experimenting in D/Studio....

joel.acevedo

Post by joel.acevedo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:53 am

I have never used POSER. Can you import to POSER, fix, and export from POSER to DAZ?

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:47 pm

You could. But, it would be an unnecessary step (and an expensive one, if you are doing it *just* to prep something for DAZ Studio...Poser has to be paid for, unlike D/S). The MD garment should be imported into DAZ Studio with no problems.

Just to double-check that we are on the same page, here are the MD export settings I used to prep the garment for D/S import.

On opening DAZ Studio, I made sure that the scale was also set to DAZ Default scaling. Then, I did the click on the zipper's cloth strip, clicked on the down arrow in the Diffuse Color box, and Browsed to the "Plastic.png" image location.