Custom avatar & bounding volume question.

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
Bob

Custom avatar & bounding volume question.

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:30 pm

I imported a V4 character from Poser as a DAE over the default MD avatar. I then...
1) saved the V4 default pose (a 'T' pose),
2) arranged Vicky's (V4) pose to match MD's default pose then deleted the MD avatar.
3)saved Vicky's new 'A' pose.
4)...now it gets weird. I then noticed that Vicky had become Pinnochio (see image). Any idea what this is? It isn't a bone.
5)While arranging the leftover (from MD's avatar) bounding volumes to fit Vicky, I found that there where a lot of redundant(?) volumes. There where two torsos, left and right. There where also two skirts, again, left and right. Same with the neck. What would these twinned volumes be for?
Thanks for the help.
Bob...scratching his (thinning) hair.

Oh ya...almost forgot, is there a way to turn off the visibility of individual bounding volumes? I couldn't find anything.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Custom avatar & bounding volume question.

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 am

I have noticed that with the latest version of MD, that imported (non-native) avatars also now get a Bounding Volume/AP setup activated for them, even if it is only default setup, and not one exactly fitting the pose or size of the import.
Question: When you loaded the default avatar at the beginning, did you have the BV/AP setup visible, or not?
It could be that when you deleted the default avatar, it's (invisible) BV setup remained; leaving you with both sets. Try simply importing your .dae avatar (without loading the default avatar at the beginning) and then turning on the BV visibility to check.

As to turning off the visibility of individual parts of the BV, no. But you can *delete* (or add new ones) them individually from the list in the Avatar Editor. It may be a suggestion to make to the MD team.

And to the last issue: that one's a stumper. I've got no real clue. My best surmise is that your import had a stray vertex point that was included with the avatar. You might want to check the export from the program you used, and make sure that there wasn't something like a point light or camera point that got caught in the export list.

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:51 am

Yes, as soon as Vicky (the long suffering V4 for Poser) was loaded (in MD, NOT from too much wine) there where BVs & APs. I assumed that these where leftovers from MDs avatar.

Aha, a light or camera? I'll check that.

I wound up moving the larger BVs out of the way so that I could fiddle with the smaller ones. As I won't be making pants for Vicky, I deleted the leg BVs. Since APs are children of BVs I assumed that corresponding APs would be deleted along with the BVs but it wasn't so. I had to delete them individually. I like the idea of the BVs & APs around the head as they will be quite handy for veils.

I've already been bitching/whining/moaning and complaining to the MD folks and have found them to be defensive of their program. For something that's expensive and aimed at pros, they don't seem to include the capabilities that a pro would want. For example...
1) font and icon size is non-adjustable. Any pro (and now many amateurs) uses BIG monitors. There's been lots of complaints in another MD forum regarding this but the MD rep just blew us all off about this.
2) I can't move MD's default temp and storage spot. I do NOT allow any program to fill my C drive on the fast SSD with it's detritus. I have some huge conventional drives for this sort of stuff
3) MDs manual is pathetic. There is no mention of any of the questions I have in the manual. I'd hate to think that MD is cheapening out and adopting the habits of other software companies by letting users and fans do their (MDs) support and training.

Thanks again for your help. Can I send you some stuff from my garden as thanks? I have a forest of Swiss chard and kale. There's zucchini the size of my leg and enough eggplant to fill a bathtub. The peppers (both hot and bell) grew like weeds and I even managed to save the tomatillos (ground cherries) from the raccoons. The freezer is already full and my neighbours lock the doors when they see me coming with yet another basket of veggies.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:12 pm

*chuckle*
Yes, I tend to use V4 myself, from long familiarity, and lack of desire to go the DAZ Studio route. Many of my freebie offerings are specifically for V4 and M4.

As for the MD team, while they seem to ignore such things that get requested, they *do* listen, and oftentimes those problems are addressed in later version releases. They are actually a fairly smallish company in Korea that seem to have had the great opportunity to hit on a very desirable commodity at just the right time, in both real-world manufacturing and CG world. I imagine that they are trying to 'ride the tiger' and not get eaten while they do it. The best way to see what is coming for MD is to keep an eye on the development of CLO 3D, their 'parent' program. What appears in CLO 3D generally gets released in MD by the next cycle or two.

(And for the vegetative offer: Thanks, but we live in a small apartment, and we need the bathtub for ourselves! :lol: Not to mention that my husband is a determined carnivore and not fond of any veggies as it is! I have to fight to get him to eat even peas.)