Simulation Problem Between Sides

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
Timotheus

Simulation Problem Between Sides

Post by Timotheus »

I'm running into what seems to be a very strange problem with simulation, where one side simulates differently than the other. Notice the difference between the right leg and the left, especially where the fabric is gathered:
md-pants-simulation-problem.png
md-pants-simulation-problem.png (539.33 KiB) Viewed 733 times
The left side on the avatar is correct.

I don't understand how the physics could possibly vary from side to side, but there's also nothing different between the sides. I'm using linked editing between the pieces, and I have double and triple checked that everything is the same. I have reset the 3d arrangement and run the simulation again and again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Tim
LoriGriffiths

Re: Simulation Problem Between Sides

Post by LoriGriffiths »

Did you make sure the fabric is the same for both? I'm guessing you checked this, but it is worth mentioning.

The other thing is that you are working in quads. MD doesn't like quads. It gives you the ability to do them only for exporting to other programs when your final work is done. Change over to triangles and see what happens.
Timotheus

Re: Simulation Problem Between Sides

Post by Timotheus »

Thanks for the suggestions, Lori. When I switched back to triangles, reset the 3d arrangement and simulated again, it worked more as expected. The right side still fell a little lower than the left side, but the gathered fabric worked much more like the left side. A little manual adjustment, and it looks right.

Tim