Cannot Merge Multiple Seams

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
Animarex

Cannot Merge Multiple Seams

Post by Animarex »

Hi all,

I am trying to make a seamless cloak, however when I merge one shoulder strap, I cannot seem to merge the other, the merge option is greyed out. Why is this so and what am I doing wrong?
MD.jpg
MD.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 431 times
LoriGriffiths

Re: Cannot Merge Multiple Seams

Post by LoriGriffiths »

You can't merge a seam if it would cause the attached pattern to cross over or otherwise not align with the other pattern. In your case, the necklines are different, so there is no way to attach that seam without affecting the pattern that is wider.

If you want the two pieces merged for exporting to another program, you can export as one piece. This option is in the export dialog box.
Animarex

Post by Animarex »

Thanks Lori!

Its been driving me mad! So if i started again from scratch this would be possible in MD. I will try again
Animarex

Post by Animarex »

Hi,

I am still not understanding why I can't merge this. So in the default file I've made the pattern and copied it, so its exactly the same, but once I merge one shoulder the other one won't let me merge this. I'm trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for your patience.
MD_help.JPG
MD_help.JPG (141.29 KiB) Viewed 383 times
LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths »

I think I've figured out a way to explain this. Print out your two patterns and then cut them out. Without bending or folding, can you line up the two shoulder seams and tape them?

The answer is no and that is why you can't merge them in MD. MD will not distort your patterns in the 2D view to merge them. You can sew them together, which will shape them in the 3D view. Merging is not the same as sewing.

There isn't really any reason to merge those seams in MD.
Animarex

Post by Animarex »

Thanks Lori,

Yes you've helped clear it up. I was getting a 'seam' there but you mentioning it wouldn't be needed to be merged helped alot. I realised its my uvw separation in that area is what I need to work on to stop showing that 'seam'.

Still learning! Thank you for the time to respond. Appreciate it!